Tipping on To Go Orders

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by schnitzel, Mar 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often find myself in an uncomfortable situation when buying to-go food at restaurants. It concerns tipping.

My bottom-line feeling is, this isn't a time to tip. I'm not being provided table service. The counter person isn't getting that waiter minimum salary that is supposedly compensated for by tips. And I'm not taking up space in the restaurant.

But I'm always uncomfortable when the credit card slip comes. There's pretty much always a space on there for me to add a tip. So what are the options?

1 - I can not fill that part out, just sign it and be done, and hope.

2 - I can pay cash instead to try to obviate the issue (and lose the cc points/miles, and be burdened with change in my pocket, which I hate). And there's still the inevitable tip jar.

or

3 - I can put a line or a zero in the tip area, and rewrite the subtotal again in the total spot.

And, with any of these, I can mumble something to myself about it being to go, so no tip, etc. in the hopes that they overhear me, which doesn't really help, but I tend to do it anyway. I guess that's my outward expression of discomfort.

Is anyone else uncomfortable with these situations? Is there an obvious option I'm missing? Should I just be tipping in these situations?

Finally: I'd like to commend a yogurt take-out place I visited once on Balboa Island. When the woman presented me the credit card slip, she had crossed out the tip area and re-written the subtotal as the total. Made me happy.

Come on MPers! Fix me!

BeachMiles, jmrich1432, Bluto and 4 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would never leave the tip line totally blank. It's too easy for someone to add something and then alter the total. If you have a copy of the receipt you can report the problem and dispute the amount with your credit card company, but prevention is easier. Draw a line through or write words like take out or self service in the blank space. I always write INCLUDED when the restaurant has already imposed a service charge that is adequate.

3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never tip on a to go order. Just mark a zero and sign and go.

4. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel the same way you do about to-go orders. However I always leave $1 this way someone doesn't fill it out for me.

perryplatypus, schnitzel and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot remember that I have ever left a tip on a " to go " order, only on table service!:)

perryplatypus and schnitzel like this.
  6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting move - I'm probably too cheap for it, or at least I'd think through the value of the points this way versus cash, but I like the idea.

7. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, so far, three people say basically "never on a to go order" and one more (MSPeconomist) implies it.

I guess that means I don't stand out like a cheapskate for not tipping on these orders.

No one feels bad writing the zero or the line?

8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Draw a line, or put a zero, total it up to the amount of the food, and be done with it.

But your mention of Balboa Island made me superhomesick, having spent like a couple weeks there for like 18 to 20 years at 124 Grand Canal (at the bridge, on Little Island, before another house was built right up adjacent to the bridge). My father helped maintain the place for the elderly lady friend of the family who then owned the place, so we were given weeks -- mainly summers but not always -- rent free. Tacos at what was then the Jolly Roger at Marine and Park avenues used to be 35 cents, credit cards were almost not invented yet (AmEx came along in like 1958), and tipping was not an issue, as it also was not for at least 2,000 chocolate-covered frozen bananas I'm sure I consumed! Dang you Schnitzel -- I'll be salivating about all this all night! :)

perryplatypus, deant, sobore and 2 others like this.
  9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry! Yeah - nice place. I think I've only been back once since. But that yogurt seller makes me want to return also! And, yes, the chocolate dipped bananas are pretty fun . . . I always think of Arrested Development when I eat one.

10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never tip unless I am a sit-down customer. When I sign the receipt I just put a line through a zero on the tip line.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just write a zero. Realistically they're not going to have 2 settings on the cc machine, one for table service and one for take-out that doesn't print out the tip area. Thus the tip area on the bill when no tip is expected.

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt you'll find very many people who tip on takeout food. Just draw a line through the tip area and copy the original amount to the total line.

I sometimes do this with sit-down service as well, and leave the tip in cash or give it to the waiter. Especially if Mario Batali is in the neighborhood.

13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - I totally agree on the way the credit card printout works. What really bugs me, though, is when the place is takeout-only, and they still have the option for a tip.

14. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i tipped the guy at pizza hut once for giving me the pizza they screwed up (no extra cheese or toppings i requested) and the correct one. only a buck tho. i felt it worth it. any other time, hell nah!

what about the "curbside" places like applebees or outback? an acquaintance of mine on facebook went off on a rant one day when she was working curbside to go at outback about how a lot of people don't tip.

what REALLY irks me is when gratuity is already included in large parties and there's another line that says "tip". no, not "additional tip" or anything denoting an additional tip, just "tip".

15. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is awkward when the tip line is present or when a place has a tip jar at the register.
    I never leave a tip for take out. I ignore the line and just write in the amount below it so they can not add in a tip.

I also don't get why other businesses have tip jars. Ex.- If I go to a bakery, it is not self-serve so what choice do we have asides from ordering from the person at the counter.

16. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno - I generally tip at a coffee shop or bar, so how is takeout for different from these situations? I'd just tip ~10% or a dollar or two and feel fine about it.

wheat27, uggboy and schnitzel like this.
  17. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curse you perryplatypus!!! I do the same thing...

18. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my past life I worked front house waitress at the oh so fun $2.01/hr +tips and also take out at min wage no tips so it depends for me. I get annoyed by the tips jars at take out only but also know some restaurants to give takeout order to waitress/waiter for their turn (rather than table) so I do tip them for putting it together or for outback/cheesecake factory curbside. Where I think it should be zero I put a line thru tip, total it and move along. tired of people wanting rewards for doing their jobs, I may put a tip jar at my desk for timely payroll, reimbursements and travel advice

19. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do any of the above who have said they do not tip at take out orders, tip at Starbucks and if so why, and I would assume if you tip at Starbucks you tip also at McDonald,s Wendy's Burger King etc, because what makes Starbucks or anyother coffee bistro more tipable than others?

wheat27, schnitzel, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  20. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally don't tip and just draw a big circle around the printed total that goes over the tip line. Then sign.

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do #3 and don't feel at all bad about it. It's a to-go order. If the restaurant or server feels that offended that you wouldn't tip on a to-go order, then they don't deserve your business or your sympathy.

wheat27, Valentine, sfo1 and 2 others like this.
  22. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just mark a line across or sometimes 0, there had only been a couple occasions I actually tipped it was either because I had a coupon and my total was already low, I didn't want to seem cheap so I tipped 10% heh

wheat27, schnitzel and uggboy like this.
  23. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hate the idea of tipping in general. Restaurants should pay staff more.

24. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't tip, unless I have a really big to-go order and it requires a lot of packaging. Even then, it's just a few $, usually under 10%.

wheat27, schnitzel and uggboy like this.
  25. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Draw a line, total it up to the amount of the food, and be done with it!!!!

wheat27, Casey Friday, sfo1 and 2 others like this.