Tipping in the UC

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, May 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a 5 flight day scheduled in September that is actually spanning two days. The last connection is in Houston, and with a 3 hour layover it will be a good opportunity to get a quick shower before my final flight home.

Realizing that someone has to come in and clean up the room when I'm done, I wonder if it is customary to leave a tip for "housekeeping" like it is in hotels. Seems reasonable to me, but I'm wondering if there is a protocol for where to leave it, how much, etc.

Thanks in advance for the tips! (pun intended)

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I take a shower at EWR, I usually give a couple dollars to 5 bucks, depending on what I have in my wallet at the time.

8MiHi, KenInEscazu and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are planning to tip, then give it directly to the person who lets you inside the shower room.They usually play a role in the clean-up.
    At least at EWR, there is yet another person who does the mopping, etc ...so not sure what will happen there if you tip the person who lets you in.

mht_flyer and KenInEscazu like this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. This is a business trip turned MR. I've never scheduled anything so far out that the need for a shower was so obvious this far in advance, so I never gave it any thought. Glad to know what's appropriate and fair.

8MiHi and mht_flyer like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for reminding me that there are showers at IAH. I have a layover there on a return from Europe later this year and am not quite used to UCs with showers yet (UA legacy).

As for the original question, I usually have showers in FRA or MUC senator lounges, and I leave up to five Euros.

8MiHi, hulagrrl210 and KenInEscazu like this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you agree with giving it to the person who lets me in, or do you just leave it in the room? Is there such thing as a general standard for this? In hotels I know to leave it on the pillow. Obviously there will be no pillow in this case.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In Europe I leave it in the room. The theory being that the person that comes in is going to do the clean-up. My impression has been there tend to be two ladies working the shower rooms (maintaining the list, showing people the way to the empty room and cleaning it afterwards).

Here is an episode that made me feel both good and sad: a couple of years ago I was splurging on an F award for myself thorough Munich on LH (usually I fly coach or upgrade with GPUs) and naturally ended up with the Porsche or Mercedes ride to the First Class lounge. I then took a shower and left my five Euros in the room. I was back In the lounge enjoying some snacks when the shower lady came over to thank me for the tip. I had the feeling that it was not a common occurrence for her to receive a tip. But those showers put me generally in a really good mood.

8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often work from my hotel room, so housekeeping will clean the room while I'm on my computer. Every now and then I'll get that same expression of gratitude from the women cleaning the room. It does make me wonder how frequently (or infrequently) they are tipped.

As a young man, I traveled 4 nights/week. It was mostly by car, and nobody ever told me that I should tip housekeeping. There is no doubt that I spent hundreds of nights in hotel/motel rooms without the thought of leaving a housekeeping tip. Looking back on it makes me feel a little guilty from my thoughtlessness. Those people work very hard for very small wages, and I sometimes leave a mess from no longer needed samples, boxes from things I bought and packed, carry out containers, etc. I just thought it was part of the price of the room.

snod08 and sfo1 like this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I left a couple of Euros last time I was in Munich after the shower. I left the money in the room. Was sitting in the lounge and the lady that had let me in to the shower room, sort of looked at me funny from the entrance to the shower area. Don't know if it was because I did not leave enough or she did not get tips often.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't leave a currency tip in hotels. My tip is that when I leave the room it is spotless, I don't dirty the room, the bathroom is quite clean, everything is in its place. I am a very neat and tidy person, so I think that since I have saved the maid quite a bit of work, that is tip enough.

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tipping in the United Club?? This is an idea that's brand new to me, and I'm sure many other readers. I leave tips in hotel rooms 50% of the time. Housekeeping staff spends time in the room cleaning. Cleaning a shower in the club? Sure beats the hell out of me. But then again, I don't tip people when I see a tip jar either. :rolleyes:

12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a slob when I travel. LOL! I do, however, try to leave the room in the best condition possible. Still, as I now only stay in 3.5+ star hotels, I know that part of their compensation is based on the fact that they are going to receive tips. Even though I clean up after myself these days, they still have to empty the trash, clean the tub/shower, replace the towels and any toiletries I have used and make the bed. A couple of dollars isn't going to change my life one tiny bit, but it may very well do so when combined with other tips for these low wage workers who do work very hard.

When I do happen to leave a room in less-than-average condition, I leave up to $5. Even if I have to go downstairs and get change.

You are certainly well within your rights to take that position. I'm not throwing any stones in my glass house, but I just want to do what I feel comfortable with. It may go back to the time in my life when I struggled and worked in jobs that were not "white collar" until I could get back on my feet. I feel a lot of empathy from my experience, and sympathy toward those for whom no other options exist.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you tip the bar person in the UC?

Personally, I would rather tip the shower cleaner a few bucks than the bar person. And yet I end up tipping both (more for the shower, though). ;)

Doesn't mean you have to.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tip the bartenders, too. It kind of irritates me, however, as I feel obligated. I only drink Diet Coke from the bar, and the glasses are too small, so I always order two. At least I only feel obligated to tip half as often.

Seems to me that sodas should be self-service and located by the water jug. One doesn't need to verify age for a soft drink, and it takes no training to prepare it. As busy as their bartenders are, it seems like it would be a win-win to let us get our own.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some clubs have soda machines. For instance, th domestic club at SFO (not sure about international).

16. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never tip shower attendants. Other than the host that guides you in, I never see the clean-up crews. For bartenders, I generally tip $1/drink ...or $1 per 2 non-alcoholic drinks.

sobore likes this.
  17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tip a buck or so for a diet coke as well.....sure beats paying $14 for a small soda outside the club in the terminal at the food court. ;)

sobore likes this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get the tongue in cheek humour, but I would seriously prefer to be able to buy a 20 oz. bottle for $2.75 and bring it in with me. I don't hink there are more than 12 ounces in two of those tiny glases by the time you count the ice. Heck... I usually buy a bottle before boarding in first class just so I won't have to wait for them to get around to me with a little cup. When I want a Diet Coke, I want a Diet Coke. :)

19. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tipping for this sort of thing in Europe would be uncommon - there simply is not the tipping mentality and the employment regulations mean that all staff earn a living wage without tips.

sfo1 likes this.
  20. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    And wine and spirits also - I so much prefer self service rather than having a bartender interfere in the process. To my mind, the presence of the bartender is a severe negative in the transaction.

21. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Glad you got my humor. I would like to be able to bring my Starbucks or DD coffee in myself.

22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Based on what's been posted, everyone is making a case to tip flight attendants.

23. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Only if they are a)hot and b)friendly. ;)

KenInEscazu likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure why you come to that conclusion. They are safety professionals and have a fairly desirable job while the shower staff cleans showers and toilets over and over again for what probably amounts to minimum wage.

You are welcome not to tip, and I am not telling you that you are doIng anything wrong.

25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are talking about United. Right? ;)