Tipping in Paris

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Supervike, Sep 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Supervike

Supervike Silver Member

Status Points:
    After reading various blogs and coming up with a plan, my wife and I are enjoying our first trip overseas in Paris. We just had our first complimentary breakfast at the Park Hyatt. It was delicious! We have been given the buffet for free and then paid the difference for the American so we could try the incredible eggs. My question is what the etiquette for tipping in the hotel for breakfast? I really appreciate any help as we don't want to look like the ugly Americans.

Gargoyle, sobore, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  2. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    No tipping is expected. In Europe, for such buffet breakfast, no tipping is expected. Walk-in, walk-out after the buffet is perfectly fine. A thank you or appreciation is always much better than monies!
    Even in restaurants, no tipping is expected, leaving a few Euro's is acceptable [no 10-20% as in US is expected!].

pig and Gargoyle like this.
  3. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most sit down places in France will charge you a cover charge that is added to your bill. That is effectively the tip. Tipping is not expected and at most leaving the loose change is ok. Anything over that is considered boorish.

4. Supervike

Supervike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! That's what I thought, but was just caught off guard. I have to say the Park Hyatt is fantastic and the service is incredible.

5. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We found it to be about the same in Italy. I did feel funny not tipping on certain occasions however.

6. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    At first, it was weird not tipping, but after the 3rd day, I didn't think twice.

7. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our friends in Spain warned us before we left not to tip anywhere: "It'll ruin it for us!"

gleff likes this.