Tipping Housekeeping

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DAS02135, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much do you typically tip housekeeping?

What factors influence your tip? Length of stay? Size of room? Interaction with staff? Hotel brand?

I only started traveling for a few years ago and I don't think my parents tipped housekeeping when I stayed with them at hotels as a kid, so I don't have much of a point of reference. And, with guilt and shame, I must admit this is something I often forget to do, especially if I do not see housekeeping staff members during my stay. However, if I don't see them and if I have no reason to think about them, it probably means they are doing a great job.

From what I understand, many housekeeping personnel work within hurried time restraints for each room, often are paid near minimum wage, and are (at least in my hometown) often faced with having their positions outsourced to third-party vendors, so if I am satisfied this is a situation where I will leave a tip. I just don't have a clue what's appropriate.

AnthonyB1609, Italy98 and aitchly like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    When in doubt leave a dollar or two on the pillow per day for standard service. If the staff has done something out of the ordinary for you, or provided exceptional service 5 bucks is a nice way to say thanks. At some of the fancy hotels they would scoff at those amounts, but don't get sucked into that mentality.

3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I leave a mess during the stay, I'll always leave a tip, otherwise it is hit or miss. Same goes if something happens special fo rme. Case in point was a recent stay I had for 4 nights. The turn down housekeeper was in the room when I checked-in and went upstairs. I said hello and requested an extra towel while she was there. Every night after (and I never saw her again), an extra towel was sitting in my room when I got back at night. THAT was service and actually garnered a positive message to her supervisor and tip just for her in an envelope.

AnthonyB1609, jmrich1432 and ctporter like this.
  4. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Complete agreement.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a good case study. You mention a need to housekeeping and they respond daily without re-asking. I too ask for extra towels, but more often than not I have to re-ask, go to the front desk, etc..That housekeeper is gettin' 5 from me! [​IMG]

Freddie Listo likes this.
  6. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually leave $2 every day. Sometimes more if they do a great job. I leave it there daily and not a lump sum on my check-out date to make sure the one working my room get his/her share.

Italy98, Freddie Listo and ctporter like this.
  7. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Zero. I consider daily cleaning as part of what I am paying for in the room rate.

If I request something such as extra pillows or towels that's not already in the room and these things are brought to me (rather than my having to go to the front desk to get them), I will tip the person bringing them a couple bucks or equivalent.

Grace and Mangy like this.
  8. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like some others, a couple of bucks (or local equiv) daily instead of a end lump sum......

Italy98, Freddie Listo and Mangy like this.
  9. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the USA I leave $2 a day. I never leave a mess, if I did I'd leave a bit more. I think $5 would be a good amount if the room is occupied by 3 or more persons and requires cleaning each day.

I worked for several years as a hotel evaluator and the criteria from the firm was $1.50 - $2 a day for housekeeping tip, so I have used that as my guide. There have been times when I have left a bit more -- when a housekeeper has gone above and beyond. (rare, but it happens) The housekeepers are the hardest working people in the hotel, in my opinion. Making the bed is a physical chore that is equal, if not more taxing, than lugging suitcases, and the general rule is $1 - $2 per suitcase.

In countries where tipping is not the norm I would ask before tipping. I recall asking a food server on a British train if tipping him was acceptable. He replied Americans were the only ones who tipped him, and he was found the practice very acceptable. :p

When I travel alone (frequently) I will often ask that my room not be made up every day, as I don't need it.

One thing that I think is important for anyone who is going to tip: please leave the tip daily, and not at the end of your stay. The housekeeper who services your room for two days in a row without getting a tip is likely to not be the person who services your room the day you leave the tip. And no, they don't put the tips into a common pot and split them.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the customs of the country I'm visiting and whether the hotel imposes a service charge. In some places one should not tip.

In tipping cultures, I like to be sure to give a tip (usually $2, depending on the class of hotel and how expensive the city is) to any maid who does any special personal service at the time. This can be a different person from the daily housekeeper and turn down service person. For example, If I request an extra bathrobe/towels/pillows/toiletries, the person who delivers it gets a tip, just like a valet would when returning laundry or shoes.

However, I do not tip if the person is bringing me towels because someone on the hotel staff forgot to put them in the room, even if it wasn't the fault of the delivery person. I believe in incentives.

Freddie Listo and Mangy like this.
  11. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to tip housekeeping if they do a good job, I feel that they are the most deserved for a tip in the whole hotel and I usually tip every day in case there is a change in staff.

12. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to tip more in a country where the staff don't expect it. The service is usually better in those countries anyway.

13. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is quite a good book out on the subject of tipping. It is called Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper's Quest to Become the Guru of the Gratuity, by Steve Dublanica:

It can be found on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Change-Clueless-Tippers-Gratuity/dp/0061787280/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

He also wrote a previous book that focused on the restaurant business. It's called Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip--Confessions of a Cynical Waiter:

http://www.amazon.com/Waiter-Rant-Thanks-Tip-Confessions-Cynical/dp/0061256684

I found both to be quite good reads. Has anyone else read either of these two books?

14. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always tip housekeeping $5/day. But, I typically leave the total tip at the end of my stay. Reading this thread, though, it has occurred to me that maybe I ought to be leaving it daily, as the staff doing the housekeeping probably isn't the same each day (or would it be??)

Hmm, food for thought...

Freddie Listo, samonyc and Mangy like this.
  15. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Few bucks per day. Usually decline housekeeping most days however, so I'm not sure what I'm usually tipping for, other than the end of stay cleanup. [​IMG]

16. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, daily tipping is the recommended practice in hotels. On cruise ships, penthouse hotel rooms or in a resort where you have an assigned person who takes care of you tipping at the end of your stay is fine. But in general the housekeeping staff in hotels varies from day to day.

17. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have not read them, but plan to look for them. Thanks! The internet is filled with sites that explain when and how to tip. Like anything else there are some that sucketh, but comparing a few will lead readers to finding the consensus on tip etiquette for all types of tipping.

18. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh Man...your supposed to tip them too? I guess I don't get out enough! :)

19. Points
    Original Member

Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    99% of the time I don't tip although on my most recent stay I left a tip as the housekeeper had left a card with her name and picture on it. Seemed so much more personal that way.

20. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From experience, tipping is really for the US and Canada. All the hotels I have stayed in Asia - I don't think tipping is required nor it a custom. Hence, I think it's important to follow the custom of each country - make it more equal for all the housekeeping crew. my2cents.

21. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed but I think of it more of in respect to the cultural norms of a particular locale and to not infect them with the poor service, hand out US perspective.

22. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that housekeeping is part of the product and as such I do not tip for general daily service. I consider myself a very neat and tidy person and I make it a point not to leave my room in an un-tidy state. With that said, if a room requires more cleaning than simply changing towels and linens then it is probably appropriate to tip.

23. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will always tip, if I like the service, no matter what the "local custom" is. Why? Coz, amazingly, in any country I've visited, and there have been a few, no one has been so offended as to not take a tip or return it or complain about it.

ctporter and samonyc like this.
  24. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for bringing this up. I've always done it at the end of a stay. I hadn't given thought that doing it this way could mean one person gets all of the tip, even if a great contributed.

HiIslands and buschoi like this.
  25. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Daily tipping always insures the 'wealth' gets spread around.

travelingmore likes this.