Tipping Flight Attendants: A Surprisingly Common and Controversial Practice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/10/12/tipping-flight-attendants-a-surprisingly-common-an/

Sure, you tip your restaurant server and your hairdresser and cab drivers. You might even offer your postal carrier a holiday bonus. But did you know that flight attendants frequently get tipped, too?

That's the finding of a question asked at Airfarewatchdog.com, where about 27% of roughly 900 respondents said they had, "as a thank you for doing a good job" or "for going out of the way to make me more comfortable." Nearly three quarters, 73%, said they don't tip flight attendants.
    The practice is controversial, though.

For one thing, some point out that one typically tips after a service has been performed, in recognition of a job well done. When money is given to a flight attendant, it's often done at the beginning of a flight in the hope of ensuring good service. Thus, some call it a "bribe."

Read More: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/10/12/tipping-flight-attendants-a-surprisingly-common-an/

tondoleo, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few times in the past, frequent flyers posting in the Air Canada forum on Flyer Talk have organized " Candy for the Crew Month".

I boarded a few times with a box of chocolates to give to the service director for sharing with the crew. At first, they were hesitant wondering if a "nutcase" was trying to poison them. :D Soon word got around that this initiative was legit. A few FA posting on FT mentioned this and were appreciative. Since my home station of YWG is small, I also brought a few boxes for the check-in staff.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1076403-candy-crew-week-april-26th-may-2-a.html

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    YULtide, tondoleo, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    FAs say they're safety professionals, not waiters and waitresses. Most professionals don't get tips.

vickers, MX, tondoleo and 1 other person like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't really thought about tipping for FA's. They do a vital job keeping us secure. Interesting thoughts.

vickers and tondoleo like this.
  5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    What ever happened to doing a great job because that is what you are paid for?

Sweet Willie, tondoleo and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, that's what I advocate too, it's also important that in some sectors people who work hard, and I gotta tell you, they're really work hard, should be paid a living wage in the first place. The tipping culture is out of hand right now and it's unbelievable that many want higher and higher tips for doing there work in the first place. Give and take, but pay fair, play fair, this should be the motto. Would cleans the public toilets? Who takes the trash away from our homes? Who cleans the streets in our neighborhoods? Not the best paid guys in town, but it's a vital job and it's sadly poorly paid. Many would run up on the barricades when our area we live in would be full of trash right? So treat people fair with a living wage and this "tipping" problem would go away in time.

To be honest, I'm a little bit fed up to "top up" others earnings with tips, which aren't part of the original charge for the service delivered. In my world, no-one pays us tips, when we want a "top up" on our earnings, we must work more, longer hours and of course, pay more tax on this too. Who's paying us tips for once?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    tondoleo and bonnerbl like this.
  7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never tipped an FA, though the AC Super Elite pax next to me in F on ORD-MCO in 2009 did give the Purser who was serving the cabin a $100 bill while disembarking. FA tried to say no, but he was insistent.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy likes this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rudi from FlyerTalk once told me he carried (may still, for all I know) little "milkcans" with Swiss chocolates in his carry-on and would reward good service (or maybe just pleasantness) with the gifts, both in flight and on the ground.

After 9/11 I tried to always buy a box of chocolates (or other candies that could be shared) at the duty-free before boarding a TATL, and give the box to the flight crew. I'd do it after the meal service when the crew gets a break from the hecticness, and I'd give it to the FA in the duty-free bag so they were less inclined to think it was potentially a "doctored" gift.

Most of the time I got a nice "thank you" and in some cases an FA (not always the FA I gave the box to) would come by my seat to chat a bit during a break in the work. It seemed to cheer them up, and it's not that costly a way to add a bit of happiness to the world.

I can see where a gift of cash might be different, though.

milchap and uggboy like this.