Tip of the Day [#4] Follow and Feed

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Todays tip explains how to follow a member and how your news feed can be your friend.

When you click on a members avatar, you will have an option to "follow" them. No, this isn't stalking, but if you generally like a particular members posts, discover a member who typically starts really interesting and/or useful discussions or recognize the smartest member in one of your forums, you can "follow" them without having to page through all the forums—sort of a "watch member" feature. By doing this, you'll be able to read their posts as part of your personal news feed.

follow.jpg

So, what is a news feed and where is it?
    Your news feed is your personal guide to what is being posted on MilePoint and contains either the posts made by those members you are following, or posts made to threads you are watching.

newsfeed.jpg

Watching threads is a must. it allows you to keep abreast of new information being posted to a Mileage Run, a bonus or a change in program information that your fellow members are posting to. Watching a thread is the same as following a thread. At the top of the page of every thread, there is a "Watch Thread" link. If you click on it, it adds the thread to your news feed and your "Watched Threads" list.

watchthread.jpg

Replying in a thread will also watch the thread (Preference settings can enable or disable this).

watchreply.jpg

You can get to your news feed from your profile or your member name drop down box (upper right of every screen) as we have pointed out above. You can get to "Watched Threads" (which does not watch members) in the bread crumbs navigation at the top of each page.

watch.jpg

Hope this helps managing all the information that is available on MilePoint.

2. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Randy. I was wondering how the Follow thing worked....now I know :). Hope to be able to meet you this weekend at the NYC meetings!

secretsea18 likes this.
  3. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to see a shortcut to the "Your News Feed" button on the main viewing page as opposed to a 2-click process as it is now.

lisamcgu and Kaanapali like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I only use a one-button click for mine. I find that just hoving over my profile on the main viewing page brings up the preferences for clicking on my news feed, which would be my first click. Try hoving rather than actually clicking your profile. That's the purpose of much of the technology is to eliminate as many clicks as possible with various hovers. Hope that is what you are referring to. Thanks.

lisamcgu likes this.
  5. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the additional navigation tips. They are appreciated very much by me.
    Keep them coming.

lisamcgu and ACMM like this.
  6. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The tips of the day are very helpful. Thanks randy!

Another thing that has made it easier for me to navigate around the site are lists of shortcuts and tips like the one provided here.

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I decide later that I want not to follow every thread I reply to, what happens to the earlier ones? Am I then no longer following them?

lisamcgu and Kaanapali like this.
  8. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we have a "follow" option which allows us to follow each member who meets certain criteria which we establish? I, for example, would choose blondes who have very poor taste in men.

jason8612, lisamcgu, Sam and 2 others like this.
  9. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your search has produced no results. Try using a different or more general search term.

Dovster likes this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question...would like to know the answer to this one as well...

lisamcgu likes this.
  11. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you following me?[​IMG]

lisamcgu and Dovster like this.
  12. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but please quit running so fast.

jason8612, lisamcgu and Sam like this.
  13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question.

There is a way to unwatch individual threads but perhaps you may want to keep watching threads you already watch and revert to a manual method to watch new threads.

14. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the glitch is (or at least was until a few days ago) that the watch all threads takes precedence over any other choice. So, if you have been automatically watching threads you post in and turn it off, all threads become unwatched and you have to manually start watching them again. And, if you are automatically watching threads you cannot "unwatch" a thread - even if you click the button the "watch all threads" command takes precedence.

15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bug whereby watch all threads takes precedence over single thread watch/unwatch has been fixed.

BondAir007 and Tinkerer like this.
  16. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    But I will still need to individually watch the individual ones I want before I turn off the automatic?

17. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    YAY! TYTYTYTYT - you just made my day :)

18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should clarify, I have watch all topics I post in turned on, and have (in the past couple of days) successfully unwatched some topics. I don't know if there are problems in the reverse direction.

Tinkerer likes this.
  19. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This helps me decide how to proceed. Decided to experiment with the watch all topics you post in turned on and then I could either turn it all off or turn it all on but not go back to just the ones I had set up manually. I'll keep it on and manually unselect some then ;)

20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Following a thread is something I have chosen not to do. Just too much in the end to track and catch up on. I make a point of following (in the non-technical sense) a couple of forums, and find that if I open a number of tabs in FF and follow that way it is more effective, at least for me.

21. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    No idea sorry, and with hundreds of topics I watch already it isn't one I'm willing to try out for myself without some verification.

22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now it is not working for me. Crud.

23. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is somewhat an enhanced version of my Flyertalk if I understand the tutorial.....

24. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such discrimination as this will not be tolerated, Dov.

charlilo likes this.
  25. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I come back with my problem: though I unchecked the box, you can only see that "charlilo was last on (this) page". I did not get any answer for that remaining problem, though Randy answered for the rest.