Timing on EXP upgrades

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Boraxo, Oct 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The published time for EXP upgrades is 100 hours before ETD. At this point neither one has cleared, my outgoing shows 2/16 and the return shows 7/16 F seats open for assignment.

With an EXP on the waitlist I assume they won't releasing upgrades at the Plat/Gold windows, so wondering when more seats will be released? At T-24 checkin, or at the gate?

Also wondering how priority is determined within the EXP group. Fare basis, # of miles flown or date added to list?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The published time is the earliest time at which you could possibly be upgraded, it is not the time when upgrades are given. It's important to note that. ;)

My personal experience has seen AA holding upgrade much closer to departure time over this year. With major weather issues, you can bet they're holding seats for reroutes and changes from the NE US.

Your free domestic upgrades are based on the time you request it. Y and B fare bases jump to the front, so do connecting passengers.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    IIRC upgrade priority (for domestic upgrades) is based on:

1. Status
    2. Whether you are a connecting passenger
    3. Whether you are full fare
    4. Time added to list

An EXP on a connecting itinerary and a discount fare would be behind an EXP on a connecting itinerary with a full fare ticket.

Upgrade seats are released at various intervals as travel approaches. They could well release seats at 72 or 48 or 24 or 4 hours prior to departure, and if they are released then they will be assigned based on upgrade priority.

These next few days I would expect upgrades to be tough and American to be pretty conservative releasing space, as they recover from the past couple of days of major cancellations. Lots of displaced passengers, full flights, some of those passengers are rescheduled their travels because of the major Northeast storms .. including paid first class passengers, and some passengers might buy those last few premium seats to get where they're going when there aren't many seats out there.

There will be a lot more upgrades clearing at the gate than usual right now, I'd surmise.

4. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just learned that I had to "request" a "500mi upgrade" to get my free upgrade. This is something that did not occur to me as you don't have to request complimentary elite upgrades on UA and AS - they just occur automatically. And I naturally assumed that I would have to pay for the 500mi upgrades as was the case when I was AA gold. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe something that should be put at the top of the list for newly-minted EXPs - "always request your upgrades when you buy your ticket"

On the plus side, my inbound flight cleared immediately after I submitted the request. So I guess I will just be rolling the dice on the outbound.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There's lot of great information on here, Flyerguide.com, FT, and TravelingBetter related to EXP benefits. Might be a good idea to become familiar with the process and benefits so you can fully utilize them.

6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sample: I have a 4 flight ITIN today. Three of those flights upgraded at about T-100 and the fourth went down to the wire. At the gate I was #1 on the UPG list with EF showing F0 and all F seats assigned. I elected to not board early, hung out at the gate, and they upgraded me sometime when the plane was mostly boarded.

I have a DFW-YUL fight in 4 days and my upgrade just cleared at T-100.

Many people here would love to get a peek into the black box that is revenue management ;)

DCtrAAveler likes this.