Timing for Best AA Fares?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Jul 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Being fairly new to AA...does AA have periodic fare sales at known times of the year or is it random? I'm a LON (er, LHR) captive, so that does limit options. I do watch options...but am still learning the curve...I want to make sure I get in the necessary miles for the year...

I know BA does their crazy fare sales (one ends tonight) and I was not sure if AA does the same or if they are similar to other US carriers where sales vary.

Thanks!
    :)robin

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In my experience you'll find the best fares randomly. AA does have their usual "fall/winter/etc" sales between Europe and the US but they've always been much more expensive than I could find when things aren't on sale. Others will tell you they've had good experience with certain timeframes, etc. As with all things related to flying, YMMV depending on who you ask and when you look. :)

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does saver trips for the next weekend or two, but I believe those are only from domestic departure points. Welcome to the dAArkside! As with most airlines, if you follow the fares and get an idea for what a good fare is, follow the MR forums, you may be able to score something.

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a total convert, but with flying BA intra-Europe, AA status helps! I plan to give AA another shot TATL to see if the seat misery I experienced in May was just that day or a more pervasive problem. I do get up and move frequently, but if I can't stand the seat, that's a problem, especially knowing I'm usually okay in Y on DL...

$$$ is not going to permit me to travel in J too often. :) I now have accrued enough miles I can upgrade when I have the next opportunity. :)

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly my worst seat experience on a TATL flight was on DL JFK-ATH. A woman across the aisle from us started crying during take off because she thought the plane was going to fall apart since the seats were so old and rickety :eek:. Never had an issue with AA to date, even prior to status.

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's crazy!

My experience in Y on AA was fine and the FA's were great; it was just my back's response to the seat was not good...but I am willing to give it another shot. :)

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah this was pre-frequent flying for me, and I still had a bit of airplane fear. Needless to say, she made me nervous!

I think I'd give DL another shot, but with my AA status I haven't really had a chance to try them out. UA is the only US airline I haven't taken across an ocean as an adult (US is out of the question), so my ranking system goes AA #1, DL worst.... haha

rwoman likes this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) It's all good. It'd be easier if I was not completely entrenched when I moved here. ATL was home before I came to the UK and I still go to ATL at least 6+ times per year...so I'm a semi-hub captive in order to have many options to get home. :)

I've done one TATL flight on UA and it was fine in Economy Plus...but past domestic experiences incline me NOT to use them. A friend in FRA is a 1k and loves UA.

For me it's DL, AA, BA, and a mix of AF/KL... avoid US at all costs. ;)

DestinationDavid likes this.
  9. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Robin, you're not alone among London-based AA flyers.

The BA forum from Flyertalk gathers in London every other month or so for drinks, and LondonAndy (organizer) has graciously expanded that invitation to OneWorld flyers as well.

If you've no status with AA, but status with DL, etc., perhaps a status match is in order?
    Or, depending upon the booking class you use, do a Platinum challenge with one of your next transatlantics!

AAdvantage remains one of the more generous FF programs, and I continue to like how I can use systemwide upgrades with deep discount economy fares when I go back to/thru the US.

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As for your question, 'tho, as others have said, it varies. Usually, transatlantics appear to be lower in the winter months.

One way to save on travel ex-UK is to grab an el cheapo flight across the channel, on a separate reservation, and "start" your transatlantic journey from the continent.

tom911 likes this.