Timeshare offers worthy of posting?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MaryDarling, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received an offer from Hilton Grand Vacations that, in addition to the discounted rate for listening to a timeshare pitch, offers 20K HHonors points for their NYC property and some other locations. I don't want to spam the board so before posting the details, I wanted to ask if this is appropriate material for this forum. Is it?

ben regelshore and phsu like this.
  2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it something that has a website or a phone number and offer code?

If it was a cold call to you, the parameters might be nice to see so as to compare offers (if I ever picked up the phone when caller ID says HGV).

3. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    The offer came from the Hilton HHonors program, and is from the Hilton Grand Vacations, so it's a Hilton program. (I wouldn't even consider posting something that wasn't a direct Hilton product.) The text of the e-mail is at the end of this post.

I did call, and was given 500 HHonors points just for calling. I don't know if every call will get through, be accepted, or be given points. YMMV. There are also income thresholds, given that they're selling timeshares.

Once I was talking to an agent, I don't know if the agent made an error or it was just another option, but the first deals she reviewed with me were different than the e-mail versions. For example, in NYC, the offer she first described was 2 nights and $100 certificate, for $299. When I asked about the points, she seemed to realize I was looking at something different, and switched to the offer detailed below (2 night, 20K points, $449), but acknowledged that I could have the first version (lower price, no points) if I wanted it.

The other offer she may have mistakenly reviewed with me was for the Hilton Waikola on the Big Island of Hawaii. The agent originally cited a 6 night/7 day deal, with $200 certificate and 7 day car rental, for $799. No points. When I asked about the points, she then cited the offer detailed below -- 4 nights, $200 certificate , and 5 day car rental for $799 -- still no points. Well, it doesn't take much to figure out that 6 night is more than 4 nights when the price is the same!

I dug deeper into the Hawaii deal and found that the only additional costs are taxes (which will take the total cost to $905) and parking ($15 a night). There's no resort fee, but of course you're on a massive resort with nine restaurants and all sorts of extras you can buy if you like, so I'm sure they're hoping for all sorts of other purchases.

In the end, I went for it. I signed up for the week in Hawaii, and we'll be using Alaska miles to get us to Kona. Since I've been to the Big Island before -- and love it -- I know where to go off-resort for good food and beaches, should we want to escape Hiltonland. For purposes of comparison I ran the numbers for booking an off week in September, and calculated (with car) a best-case cost of $209 a night before taxes, or $1254. The timeshare for the same deal, plus a $200 Spend a Night on Us certificate, was $799. Subtract the value of the $200 certificate from the cost, and it drops to $599, or roughly half-off.

Timeshare deals bring their own risk, but I've done a Hilton offer before and found it to be pretty straight up. Yes, they'll take up a full afternoon telling me about timeshares, but a dull afternoon on the Big Island is still a mighty nice afternoon. And, if it turns out to be a total nightmare, I know a few good, cheap hotels on the Big Island if an escape proves necessary!

Lengthy details (and fine print) follows.

US$199 Las Vegas Getaway for two
    The sights and sounds of Las Vegas are all yours when you take advantage of this special offer. Experience Las Vegas – world-class gaming, spectacular shows, premier shopping and dining, non-stop nightlife, and outdoor excursions.

Your Las Vegas vacation includes 3 Days at The Las Vegas Hilton for two, plus:

• 15,000 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points
    • US$200 Spend a Night on Us certificate, good for your next Hilton Worldwide
      hotel stay
    All we ask is that while you are enjoying your vacation, you attend a two-hour preview of our Hilton Grand Vacations Club™ resort.

US$199
    3 Days / 2 Nights at the Las Vegas Hilton
    Plus,
    15,000 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points
    US$200
    Spend a Night on Us Certificate for your next Hilton Worldwide
    hotel stay
    Space is limited!
    Please read details of participation.
    Reservation Code: HHNJULY
    Call Now!
    1-877-740-4482
    Secure your vacation price today and you'll have up to 12 months to travel!
    Offer expires July 31, 2011.

More Exciting Vacations from Hilton Grand Vacations™!
    Orlando
    US$349
    plus tax
    4 days / 3 nights
    at an Orlando area Hilton Worldwide hotel
    Plus:
    • US$200 Spend a Night on Us certificate
    Call 1-877-740-4482 to book.

New York City
    US$449
    plus tax
    3 days / 2 nights
    at the Hilton New York
    Your choice of:
    or
    • 20,000 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points
    • US$150 Destination Dollars

Oahu, Hawaii
    US$599
    plus tax
    5 days / 4 nights
    at the Hilton Hawaiian Beach™ Resort & Spa
    Plus:

Waikoloa, Hawaii
    US$799
    plus tax
    5 days / 4 nights
    at the Hilton Waikoloa Village
    Plus:
    • 5-day car rental

We offer you these special vacation getaways as a way of introducing you to the many benefits of vacation ownership with Hilton.
    All we ask is that while you are enjoying your vacation, you attend a two-hour preview of our Hilton Grand Vacations Club™ resort.

Offers expire July 31, 2011.
    Please read complete details of participation.

Call 1-877-740-4482 Today

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

Spend a Night on Us certificate is good for up to US$200 rebate on one night at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide Portfolio. Rebate certificate is valid up to 6 months from the date of personal preview. See rebate certificate for additional terms and conditions.

THIS ADVERTISING MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING SALES OF A VACATION OWNERSHIP PLAN (TIMESHARE) IN FLORIDA, NEVADA, NEW YORK AND HAWAII. THE COMPLETE OFFERING TERMS ARE IN AN OFFERING PLAN AVAILABLE FROM THE SPONSOR. Prices of weeks range from US$10,100 – US$278,700. Prices subject to change. NJ Reg. No. 07/04-0018; 07/4-908, 07-17-0015. Nevada Seller of Travel Registration No. 2002–0827.

This is not an offer to sell or a solicitation to purchase to any person who is a resident of any state in which the registration requirements of that state have not been met.

Hilton Grand Vacations™ is a registered trademark of HLT Domestic IP, LLC. and is licensed to Hilton Grand Vacations Company. Hilton HHonors™ is a registered trademark of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, LLC. This offer is sponsored by Hilton Resorts Corporation, 6355 MetroWest Blvd., Suite 180, Orlando, FL 32835. Hilton Grand Vacations is the exchange agent.

You must be a member of Hilton HHonors™ to earn HHonors Bonus Points. Hilton HHonors™ membership, earning of Points & Miles™ and redemption of points are subject to HHonors Terms and Conditions.

Details of Participation

Eligibility.
    No one is excluded from visiting our properties or purchasing a timeshare. You must meet certain financial qualifications and attend a two hour timeshare sales presentation in order to participate in this promotion. If you do not meet the qualifications of this promotion or attend presentation, the difference between the special package price and the currently published nightly rate for the applicable resort at that time, plus premium costs and taxes, may be charged to your credit card. Minimum financial qualifications: Orlando package: household income of $80,000 USD; New York package: $150,000 USD; Hawaii packages: $125,000 USD; Vegas package: $80,000 USD (the combined income of unmarried couples living together can be used to determine “household” income) and possession of a major international credit card. You must present personal identification such as a driver’s license or passport at time of sales presentation.
    You may not participate in this promotion if you have an open, incomplete package requiring attendance at a sales presentation, or have participated in a sponsor promotion requiring attendance at a sales presentation: (i) within the last three (3) years at the property or properties promoted in this offer, or (ii) within the last twelve (12) months at any other properties. Hilton Grand Vacations Club or Hilton Club Members, employees of Hilton Grand Vacations, Hilton Worldwide or their affiliates are not eligible. If married or living together, couples must attend sales presentation together; individuals may purchase separately. Offer valid one per family only. No groups, consisting of more than one couple traveling together, permitted.
    Accommodation Details.
    Reservations are on a space-available basis. Savings and available accommodations may vary by season. Accommodations for Orlando package: standard hotel room for up to four people at a Hilton Worldwide hotel (standard value of up to US$169/night); accommodations for New York package: standard hotel room for up to two at the Hilton New York (standard value of up to US$449/night); accommodations for Hawaii packages: standard hotel room for up to two people at the Hilton Hawaiian Village® Beach Resort & Spa in Oahu or Hilton Waikoloa Village in Waikoloa (standard value of up to US$299/night). Upgrades may be available at an additional cost. If accommodations are not available at the above named properties, standard accommodations will be offered at a Hilton Worldwide hotel. Package includes accommodations and named gifts only. All other charges, sales taxes, expenses, and the cost of travel are your sole responsibility and not included in this special rate. Holiday, high season or weekend rates may apply. Written confirmation required to check-in.
    Premiums/Gifts.
    Orlando, Las Vegas, Oahu:
    Guests will receive 15,000 HHonors® Bonus Points (valued at US$150) and a US$200 "Spend a Night on Us" certificate. HHonors membership and redemption of points are subject to HHonors Terms and Conditions . Please allow six to eight weeks for HHonors points to be deposited into your account.
    $200 "Spend a Night on Us" certificate is good towards up to a US$200 rebate on a one night stay at any Hilton Worldwide hotel. See rebate certificate for terms and conditions. Premiums are awarded after attendance at sales presentation and may not be redeemed for cash.
    Waikoloa:
    Guests will receive a 5-day, mid-size car rental (valued at up to US$474.49, depending on season and rental location). Drivers must be 25 or over and possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and major credit card (for refundable deposit). Car must be dropped off and picked up at same location in order to avoid paying drop-off fee. Any additional charges for upgrades, insurance, or extension of rental period are your sole responsibility. Car rental is only available during your stay and is nontransferable. Guests will also receive two tickets for a Luau at the Hilton Waikoloa Village (valued at US$82/ticket) and a US$200 "Spend a Night on Us" certificate.
    New York:
    Guests will receive choice of US$200 "Spend a Night on Us" certificate or 20,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points and US$150 Destination Dollars (which can be used for shopping, dining or spa services at select retailers. A list of participating retailers is available upon request).
    Reservations.
    Full pre-payment using a major credit card is required. This is a non-refundable, nontransferable advance purchase package. A US$19.95 charge applies to each reservation change made up to 30 days of arrival. Should your plans change within 14 days of your scheduled arrival requiring a change of your reservation dates or arrival date, the equivalent of one night at the currently published rack rate (or US$199 for New York package) will be applied to the cost of the package. The above fees do not apply when purchasing additional nights consecutive to an existing reservation. Packages expire 6 months from date of purchase for Orlando, Las Vegas and New York packages, and twelve months from date of purchase for Hawaii packages. Packages must be purchased by July 31, 2011.
    Purpose of Promotion.
    Promotions requiring attendance at a sales presentation are for the purpose of introducing the benefits of vacation ownership. As a result of state registration requirements, guests may not be eligible to purchase a vacation ownership interest in the project where the sales presentation occurs. Sponsor reserves the right to change this offer prior to purchase without notice. Offer not valid with any other promotional offer. Information gathered through this promotion will be used to solicit timeshare sales.
    State Disclosures.
    Offer sponsored by Hilton Resorts Corporation located at 6355 MetroWest Blvd. Suite 180, Orlando, FL 32835, to advertise Hilton Grand Vacations Club vacation ownership (timeshare). NJ Reg. No. 07/04-0018; 02/38-009; 06/34-004; 07/34-0016; 07/17-0015. Nevada Seller of Travel Registration No. 2002-0827.
    THIS ADVERTISING MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING SALES OF A VACATION OWNERSHIP PLAN (TIMESHARE) IN FLORIDA, NEVADA, NEW YORK, OR HAWAII. THE COMPLETE OFFERING TERMS ARE IN AN OFFERING PLAN AVAILABLE FROM THE SPONSOR. Prices of weeks range from US$10,100 - US$278,700. Prices subject to change.
    This is not an offer to sell or a solicitation to purchase to any person who is a resident of any state in which the registration requirements of that state have not been met.
    Hilton Grand Vacations®, Hilton Hawaiian Village® and Hilton Waikoloa Village® are registered trademarks of HLT Domestic IP, LLC. and are licensed to Hilton Grand Vacations Company. Hilton HHonors® is a registered trademark of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, LLC. This offer is sponsored by Hilton Resorts Corporation, 6355 MetroWest Blvd., Suite 180, Orlando, FL 32835. Hilton Grand Vacations is the exchange agent.
    You must be a member of Hilton HHonors® to earn HHonors bonus points. Hilton HHonors® membership, earning of Points & Miles®, and redemption of points are subject to HHonors Terms and Conditions.

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the New York deal. I was not offered the 20,000 points, only the "stay on us" certificate. Here are a few things that they forgot to cover in the phone call:
    1. You can only attend your sales presentation after you have stayed one night as part of the presentation deal. They do this (IMO) so that if you get impatient and walk out of the sales presentation, they can change your rate for your stay to rack rate.
    2. The presentation does not include a physical tour of the W. 57th St. property, only a computer slide show on a 15 inch monitor.
    3. They originally booked our stay into the New York Hilton. We asked to stay at the W. 57th St. property, as we really were somewhat interested. Big mistake. They refused to allow us (HH Gold) lounge access or breakfast. We could not even see the lounge. We stayed one night on a paid stay at the New York Hilton, and the room was nicer and we had lounge access.
    4. The sales presentation took about 1.5 hours. The program was explained well. When we fully understood it, we decided it was not for us. The salesman then got fairly surly, continued on in that vein for another 15 minutes.
    5. The "destination dollars" certificate is good for two weeks after the presentation. It is mostly for restaurants in the vicinity, shops in the New York Hilton, and a massage place. The places we checked out were pretty pricey. We used ours at the Russian Tea Room for afternoon tea ($50 per person).
    6. The "stay on us" certificate is valid for 6 months after the presentation. You stay at a Hilton, pay, and send a copy of the statement in with the certificate. You receive a check for one night's stay, up to $200.

5. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good info in both posts. These "bargain" stays are often a good way to actually see and perhaps stay at a TS property (the NY story aside). Overall we like TS's for their size, kitchens, etc. - again, not as applicable for the NY West 57th Hilton property as it, and the TS's on the top floor of the Hilton Hotel, are quite small, consistent with other New York properties. The Waikoloa property offers the range of TS sizes for accommodations: studio, 1 and 2 bedroom units, with standard to premium categories (top floor, of 3, is premium). Enjoy - check out the bay at the nearby Marriott Hotel in the Waikoloa Resort area - the A bay, or Anaeho'omalu Bay - beautiful, good for snorkeling.

MaryDarling likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel it is appropriate especially when not part of some sort of affiliate/referral system.

Many of us are on various mailing lists that everyone else might not be on - so it’s helpful to see options not presented to us (via junk mail :) .. From everyone that doesn’t care a bit about it, they can ignore those posts.

MaryDarling likes this.
  7. MaryDarling

Status Points:
    Wanted to check back in and report my experience. I've just returned from Hawaii, where I spent 6 nights/7 days at the Hilton Waikoloa as part of my vacation, thanks to the HGVC offer.

The deal was exactly as advertised. I was able to select the dates I wanted, and about two weeks prior to my trip a HGVC rep called with the info on my free rental car -- a mid-size from Dollar that was upgraded for free by the rental counter clerk to a standard size vehicle.

While I did not earn any points while on property, my Hilton Gold benefits were honored. I received $120 worth of food vouchers (they no longer have a lounge); free use of the fitness facilities and free internet. I was also given a partial ocean view room, which is seen as an upgrade.

I had two encounters with the timeshare side of things. First, I had to stop in at their registration office to pick up my invitation and my two free tickets to the Hilton luau. They were willing to help me book other activities/events, but I declined, and the whole process took 5 minutes.

For the presentation itself, I went to their offices in another building. The timeshare presentation took 90 minutes, despite my having been clear at the outset that I had no intention of buying. The presentation was very low-key, and at the end, when they made their offer, my first "no" was accepted as final. I was given my $200 Hilton certificate, thanked for my time, and allowed to go. It was the most laid-back timeshare sell I've ever seen.

Would I do it again? Absolutely -- somewhere else. I'm not the mega-resort type, and the Hilton Waikoloa is basically Hawaiian Disneyland. We spent most of each day elsewhere on the island, and the hassle of getting around the resort (it was a half-mile from our room to the lobby) proved a regular nuisance. In terms of the deal, however, I received:

-- 50% off the best-available rate for the dates I selected (I paid $135 a night; going rate was $275)
    -- $200 certificate to use at any Hilton worldwide
    -- $200 in free luau tickets
    -- $250 rental car at no charge

Toss in the HHonors Gold benefits ($120 in food, $100 in free internet) and it really was an excellent payoff for 90 minutes of my time.

iolaire likes this.
  8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It can be a pretty nice deal if you are staying in the property anyway. Several years ago while staying in the hotel for business I was given a nice number of points (25,000 or 40,000 cannot remember) just to attend the 90 min presentation.

9. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    My family took advantage of the HGVC offer in Orlando a couple of years ago. I would not hesitate to take advantage of one of their offers again if it was somewhere I was planning on/wanted to go. The property we stayed at (1-bdrm @ Parc Soleil resort) was very nice and the presentation was low-pressure. I had previously sworn off ever doing timeshare presentations but decided to give theirs a chance. Glad I did as it provided low-cost accommodations in a nice resort.

I think this post is beneficial. I'm new to the hotel-points stuff and wouldn't have thought to ask about using my HH Gold status at a timeshare place. (I know: newbie!) I also think it's nice to see where/what they are offering. If they call me again, I'll know what might be available.

iolaire likes this.