timeshare forum?

Discussion in 'Timeshares' started by Kagehitokiri, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    really? and during beta? to introduce some "new" forums?

might be good for another reason too. =]

2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We asked for it at the LAX rollout and Randy, true as always to his word, made it happen!

Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and other hotel chains who have timeshare programs offer both points for annual trades as well as Lifetime Program status for purchases. So we thought this would be a great Points discussion.

3. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ah, thanks for the background!

there is indeed a lot of hotel overlap. and now ritz carlton lets you earn points.

4. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    HHonors now shows my HGVC reservations when I log in.

piqaro likes this.
  5. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    that you booked with HGVC points/weeks? pretty cool.

6. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I might add that travelingmore should be the honorary mayor of this new forum as she was the one who brought it up at the LAX rollout meeting and pushed Randy to create it.

BondAir007 likes this.
  7. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I respectfully decline the honor [​IMG]. It was actually another who proposed the thread idea, although there were a number of us who use timeshares and thought there could be an interest in the topic on MP. The beta test period will give a chance to see if that works out.

DYKWIA, magic111, BondAir007 and 2 others like this.
  8. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification travelingmore.

Would have sworn it was your idea.

But I'm still recommending you for Assistant Mayor. :)

magic111 likes this.
  9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your efforts to get this topic on the table, even if you weren't first. I think it definitely belongs here, and I'm sure it will have a number of interested members posting here as the site scales up.

Timeshares are one of the most confusing travel topics, because:
    1. None of the providers are willing to put any information on how it works on their websites.
    2. They want to give you as little information as possible until after you have bought.
    3. The programs are complex and confusing, perhaps intentionally so.
    4. They aren't always the most trustworthy people in the world.

Having others who own timeshares share their experiences is the best way to find out the true scoop.

TravelKane, vickers, Flews and 2 others like this.
  10. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    This I why I have been unable to convince myself to participate in the Time Share market. Several times I have been close to taking the leap, but the lack of solid information has held me back.

gemac likes this.
  11. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    gemac likes this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, TUG is an excellent source of information. The perspective here might be slightly different. I suspect that TUG users might be more likely than MP users to want to go back to the same place every year for a solid week or two. This is how timeshares were really designed to be used, and they generally work pretty well for that.

Here, I think you might be more likely to find people who wanted to stay a couple of days here and a couple of days there, We might be more likely to want to convert to hotel points, as we might want to go places that there aren't timeshares. Not saying we are all (or even mostly) like that, just that some of us might approach it with a slightly different perspective.

magic111 likes this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been close a few times myself. What usually causes me to back away from the precipice is that I realize that most years, I would end up converting the timeshare to hotel points. I then realize that I value the hotel points at about the same dollar amount as the annual maintenance fee, so why pay the purchase fee (even on the resale market) and lock myself into something for no advantage?

magic111 likes this.
  14. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    nope...

TUG users exchange.

exchanging is no more complex than concepts on FT.

these 3 threads are way too mixed up. =D

15. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting side comment - when I opened this page just now, all three ads were aimed at those who are dissatisfied with their timeshare and want to get rid of it. There seem to be as many or more pro-timeshare comments in this thread as anti-timeshare or cautionary comments.

16. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    well, ive never said anything "pro" timeshare.

ive said timeshares can offer value. just about everything "can" offer value.

ironic this feels like a "miles/points arent worth it" discussion.

over-generalizations are not constructive in any situation.

17. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Timeshares aren't, IMO, exclusively about miles and points. But they are closely associated.

You can earn points for your units and use or earn miles traveling to them.

And I understand some chains offer lifetime status to timeshare purchasers although that wasn't our experience a decade ago. Fortunately I had already earned my Marriott Lifetime Platinum status.

DYKWIA and magic111 like this.
  18. travelingmore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago, Starwood Vacation Ownership offered Lifetime Gold SPG status for a certain level of timeshare purchase. If each spouse had an SPG membership they would make both persons LT Gold with the one timeshare purchase. Hilton Grand Vacations Club also offered LT Gold membership with a required level of t.s. purchase.

Both may have also offered Plat. or Diamond LT as well for a higher level of timeshare purchase - don't have that detail.
    The LT status would go away if the timeshare was sold in the future.

Don't know what the current offerings are - others may have updated info.

gemac and Cholula like this.
  19. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Marriott may offer it too although it was never mentioned in the sales pitch. And we most recently bought a couple years ago.

But they just about know your life story when you give them your Marriott Rewards number and perhaps noted I already had lifetime status.

20. mas

mas

Hello, mas here. Just saw this new forum from a link on TUG. I've been a member there since '98.

We own a few Marriott T/Ss. It would be nice if they offered some sort of lifetime status (by which I'm assuming you're referring to the hotel Rewards program), however, I doubt that will ever happen and with the recently announced spin-off plans it's even less likely.

21. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, mas!

I too got the notice of the spinoff plans but didn't read anything nefarious in the message.

What's your take on it?

22. travelingmore
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since 1997 for us. Ditto that we never got an offer from Marriott of LT status for timeshare purchases. But once a few years ago, I heard or read that one resort in Asia offered LT Gold with purchase - I called Marriott and was told it was only for a brief time, for sales at that property - in fact I think it was over by the time I called.

23. linsj
    Original Member

linsj Active Member

Status Points:
    Hilton offers diamond with elite status of 14,000 points bought from the developer. Not worth the difference in price from buying resale.

24. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found that converting my HGVC to hhonors is more expensive than buying the points directly from hhonors, If you believe that you would be converting than you should not get into it.

Ultimately the best value is using the timeshare itself but there are some bargains out there. We have traded about 75% of our annual allotment a couple times for UK narrowboats -- which can cost a lot more than a thousand GBP for a week. But if you are not into the activity it will not do you much good.

I have never been able to wrap around the idea that purchasing more points to get lifetime status has value. It just seems to me that with the additional TS points I would end up never using hotels to be able to use the status benefits.

Funny thing for me is that I usually look for the economical flight (miles or money) 1st. Than look for accomodations using HGVC points, hotel points, or money. Saving on the whole package makes a more rewarding experience at least for me.

gemac and Cholula like this.
  25. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've done narrowboating, and found it very relaxing. I didn't even know you could use timeshare points for narrowboating. Was that through RPI?

Cholula likes this.