Timeline Of How United Stranded And SLOWLY Rescued Hundreds In Goose Bay Canada

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jun 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

I posted yesterday about how United had stranded hundreds of passengers in remote Goose Bay, Canada, after United 958 bound for London from Chicago suffered a broken rudder just after it had started to cross the Atlantic ocean. It turned around and diverted to Goose Bay, which is definitely in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The pilots were able to land the plane and all the passengers and crew are safe and sound. United's treatment of the passengers was pretty much a debacle, however. Apparently the hotels were full, so they put the passengers up in barracks that are operated by the Canadian Forces Base. (Though there was room in the inn for the pilots and crew.) At least some of the barracks were unheated, so it wasn't the most pleasant stay though obviously could have been much worse. The real issue was the poor performance of United's response team which couldn't get the passengers out of Canada for over 20 hours. Jay, a One Mile at a Time reader, happened to be on the flight and left some detailed comments about the experience on the original post. I used that information as well as other reports to piece together the following timeline of events regarding the diversion to Goose Bay, the subsequent replacement flight which encountered its own issues, and the impact on other United flights that day -- mostly because it's fascinating to me to see the chain of events. All of the italicized text below are excerpts from Jay's comments. The post Timeline Of How United Stranded And SLOWLY Rescued Hundreds In Goose Bay Canada appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...