Timelapse Video of San Francisco-to-Paris Flight Captures Aurora Borealis

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/mashable/20...nciscotoparis_flight_captures_aurora_borealis

If given a whole row to themselves in a flight from San Francisco to Paris, most people would just sleep. Not this passenger, who set up his Canon 5D Mark II digital SLR camera on a tripod and attached a timelapse controller.
    When he pointed his 16mm-to-35mm lens out his airplane window, the result was this remarkable timelapse video of his 11-hour flight.
    Taking that Great Circle route above the polar regions, the video flies us through the aurora borealis, giving us a look at those spectacular northern lights.
    Also remarkable is the fact that the Air France flight crew allowed the use of that bundle of electronic devices throughout the entire flight. At the end of this video, you'll see the rig with which he snapped the 2,459 shots -- one approximately every two miles. After the flight, they were edited together along with a few judiciously placed iPhone pics shot along the way.
    By the way, you don't even need to be flying that far north to see the northern lights -- once on a night flight from Montréal to Detroit, I could see the aurora borealis out of the right side of the plane during the entire trip.

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Pop talks fondly of catching a KLM (I think) flight from the west coast to AMS and used to see the Northern Lights on a regular basis. He mentions on one flight the Northern Lights were so fantastic/bright that the FA's turned off the movie & shut off nearly all the cabin lights, no one minded. Pop talks about the whole interior of the plane glowing different colors from the lights outside.

santafefran and sobore like this.
  3. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the aurora borealis a few times flying into Edmonton, it is really cool to see it from the air due to less light pollution.

4. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    What an awesome video! Guess I am very fortunate to live in an area where we can view the aurora borealis on a fairly regular basis. Cannot count the number of times I have laid on the grass in the dark of night watching those dancing lights for hours on end! :)