Time to get from LGA to JFK

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by rwoman, Oct 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at an itinerary (AA) that involves going from LGA to JFK...it is a 4 hour layover.

Is this enough time and what is the best mode of transportation to make the transfer? I'd prefer cheap, but have not managed this routing before.

Thanks!
    :)robin

Kalboz likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    3 hours is generally a legal connection. Important factors: What time of day? Are you checking bags? How many passengers?

It's been a long time so this is from hazy memory but I seem to recall that the bus runs every 30 minutes and costs $13 or so. If there are two people you might as well just take a cab.

Normally it shouldn't be more than a 30 minute drive, could be 45 in heavy traffic, but even if you assume it's an hour or a bit more you're fine even with bags. A cab is better than the bus I think for sure if you're two people (since the cost becomes close, cab shouldn't be over $30) and you don't have to wait around for bus departure.

There are cheaper ways to do it, bus to train, but I wouldn't mess with that option if you aren't familiar and especially with a 4 hour connection as opposed to say 7 ;)

catgirl, Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  3. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It should be enough time. I'd use the bus (it was - and may still be - Carey that runs this), which seems to be reliable. (To be fair, I have used it only to get to the LIRR station in Jamaica.)

But one caution. If you are talking a shuttle flight, it may (depending n the airline) arrive at the Marine Air Terminal at LGA and you would need a shuttle over to the main terminal to get the bus. I don't think thats the case with AA, but you might want to double check.

Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    4 hours should be plenty.
    If you want to try public transport, you can take the Q33 bus from the airport to the 74th/Roosevelt subway station, and then take the E train headed for Jamaica. At Sutphin Ave it is an easy transfer to the JFK airtrain (Take the Elevators to the LIRR level, cross the tracks and there's the Airtrain station. The whole trip should take about an hour, and isn't very traffic-dependent. If you want to save even more money, you can transfer to the Q10 bus at Kew Gardens. The Q10 goes to Terminal 4 at JFK and it would be a free transfer with a Metrocard (as is the Q33-E transfer).
    If you arrive at the Marine Air terminal, there is also a bus to 74th/Roosevelt, but I believe it is the Q47.

I would not recommend relying on the bus/subway/Airtrain unless you are ready to go 3 hours before your JFK departure. Also, there are no luggage racks on the Q33, so if you more than a rollaboard it's not a good idea.

dhammer53, viguera and rwoman like this.
  5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done it with with a 3 hour layover, but it was on a Sunday morning with no traffic.

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    All,

Thank you for the replies! It seems fairly easy to do this -- I am familiar with the NYC subway system, the Airtrain, etc., so it sounds like it should be fairly painless...

:)robin

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you'll make it (with 4 hours), but I'm not sure it will be painless. Any method besides cab or Carey bus involves multiple transfers...

Let us know which method you pick!

8. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in NY. 4 hours is plenty the airports are probably about 8 miles apart but the road that connects them is always bumper to bumper. When you have your dates firmed up --PM me and I might just swing down and give you a lift to the LGA.

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did this very trip several years ago. Door to door was 55 minutes, since I got lucky and made quick connections. Max time = 75 minutes.

The cost for the bus/subway fare is $2.25 + $5 for the Airtrain.

Why did I do this? Glad you asked. UA at LGA was looking for bumpees. I volunteered and suggested that I be re-routed JFK/SFO. Of course they looked at me like I was nuts. ;) Do any of you think this was nuts? ;)

They give me my $250 bump voucher. I ask for cab fare LGA/JFK. They say no. I say what about a $50 UA voucher? Well, it seems that this request was easier for them to process. :D As long as I was asking, I asked for an upgrade on my JFK/SFO flight. The agent told me she'd deposit a CR1 in to my account to cover the upgrade. There was just one problem, she deposited a SWU instead. :cool:

I know this is off-topic, but since this is Milepoint, I know that you appreciate the story.

That's the story of my LGA/JFK transit. It was profitable.

10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well done! :)

11. Definitely feasible. An international arrival/departure might complicate things just a bit, but I still think 4 hours is manageable.

12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are worried about not having enough time, you could probably call a car service (not use the yellow cabs) and arrange for a time for them to pick you up at JFK to get you to LGA. It might cost you a little more but will probably save you from rushing and worrying.

13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    4 hours is more than enough time, even if you are taking the NYC Airporter shuttle.

14. eddie

eddie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure why you said "even", I have to think the Airporter is faster than AirTrain+Transfers, so it only loses marginally to a Taxi. I just took an airporter at 1215p on a Friday in June and cleared security before 130p. At $13 between JFK and LGA, I wish I had known about this years ago.

dhammer53 likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you including time from the LIRR to the airport?

16. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I jumped on this thread without paying proper attention saw LGA was thinking NYC. Original reply will be deleted. Thanks Dan. How was the BRT this year?

17. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same as always. :cool:

18. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it was awesome!

dhammer53 likes this.