Time to ditch the MP Select Visa?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by traveltoomuch, May 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The annual fee is again due on my UA MP Select Visa, and I am once again struggling with the decision of whether or not to keep it.

What have you folks done? Do any of you still have the card?

I no longer put spending on this card, and the only two reasons I see to keep it are the annual 5,000 RDM and 5,000 PQM. In the past, the overwhelming appeal was the the EQM/PQM: more than once, this card made the difference between keeping 1K and not.

In the last few years I've gotten MM status, and I've pretty much given up on getting higher UA status for now. And I lost the CC fee waiver that goes along with 1K status. I can imagine going for higher status again, but it's hard to see doing it soon.

It is worth paying $95 for 5,000 RDM + the opportunity for 5k PQM in future years?

For those who may not be familiar with it, the Select card offers 3x on UA spending, 2x on dining, gas, home improvement stores, and other star alliance carriers, and 1x on everything else. $95 annual fee. It does not include any of the perks of the explorer card, like lounge passes or making award tickets upgradeable. It also doesn't include the travel insurance cover that you get from Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly the same situation for me (former 1k, now MM, dropped to gold with little inclination for Iyar status), except that mine just renewed a couple of months ago. So I will keep it until next year. Use it pretty much only for UA tickets (the few I buy) and groceries/home improvement spend. The 5k RDM make the annual fee semi reasonable, and it is one of my oldest cards, so I am reluctant...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase no longer offers the MP Select and the Platinum Visa card(now known as Mileage Plus Card). These are the only cards where one can acquire up to 5000 PQMs through ticket purchases at united.com, or expenditures of 35K on the MP Platinum card which awards 5000 PQMs. The Chase reps have tried to sell me on the Explorer card, and I informed them that it does NOT award PQMs whereas the Platinum Visa awards up to 10,000 PQMs per year. As a 1K, I receive a $60 credit for the annual $140 fee, so the net fee is $80.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those f us who still have the card probably know that benefit very well :) The question is whether it is still a valuable feature, and only the cardholder can answer that.

Incidentally I just got a new Select card with chip in the mail. Unfortunately chip and signature.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm stuck holding mine for the ability to earn 5K EQMs. With IAD as a home base, some level of UA status is still helpful to some degree, though a lot less than it used to be.

6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same with me; agree this is worth the $80 net fee I pay as a 1K. Having said that, I probably wouldn't get a UA card today. I don't think the benefits offered are a good as the one that I have, or the one that the OP has. I also have the Gold AMEX that gives 3 points for airfare; cashing them in for gift cards is essentially a 3% rebate. If Chase ever took my UA Visa away, I would just use my AMEX.

chitownflyer likes this.