Time of year for Starwood points transfer

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MLW20, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering if anyone knew around what time of year Starwood usually runs the bonus offers for transferring points to airline programs? I've read in the past that they sometimes offer 30-40% bonuses when transferring to other programs.

Mark Allen Jackson and Biu like this.
  2. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question, I would love to transfer some of mine too.

3. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few months ago they ran a special with AA for 35% bonus. I don't believe its Starwood runs the promo but, the airline itself which says any points from a partner hotel will receive x points bonus in fact, Delta made did not realize this last year and the bonus came out to 300% if registered before they shut it down to exclude point transfers..

4. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the AA promotion ran late fall - early winter in 2010. I wouldn't expect one anytime soon for AA.

5. CIPAS
    Original Member

CIPAS Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most big bonus for transfer comes up end of a year.
    Wouldn't expect anything good anytime soon.

6. The AA bonus offer was fantastic! It was the only time I have seen it over the past 3 years - and hopefully it will be back some day!

7. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't remember the exact dates, but I did my SPG -> AA 35% bonus transfers in mid to late June 2010. I'm guessing we won't see that bonus again for a little while (which is alright by me, as it gives me time to replenish the SPG points).

8. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember bonus miles with AA and perhaps Delta ...sorry but no other airline I can remember.

9. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Airways

10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the feedback! I am hoping for a nice transfer bonus on AA in the near future!

11. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Little off topic but I am actually torn between SPG and AMEX Membership Reward points. The latter seems to offer a lot more signup bonuses (opportunities for churning) and bonus for transfers. I know they have some differences in terms of the partner list. But the instantaneous transfer the membership reward allows has to count for something...

12. SAN-man
    Original Member

SAN-man Active Member

Status Points:
    The AA bonus wasn't SPG specific. They offered a 35% bonus on pretty much any hotel transfer. I don't recall ever seeing anything that generous from AA.

13. TravelGuy1965
    Original Member

TravelGuy1965 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AA promotion was a one time deal from what I can remember so I wouldn't use that to find a pattern.

British Airways had promotions 2-3 times and if I recall right they may have been near the end of they year as another person indicated is common.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed but if there is an airline that has a 1:1 transfer with SPG, upon transferring 20k, SPG throws in 5k miles, so earning on SPG card is 1.25 airline miles per $ spent, I don't think there is as good of an earning ratio with AMEX.

That said, Delta sky pesos have had some terrific AMEX redemption promos.

15. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card will give you 3x on airfare and 2x on gas and groceries, so depending on your spending habit you could easily get >1.25 airline miles per $ spent. However, I still think SPG is better all around, because of the great hotel redemption possibilities.

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the education, I wasn't 100% sure with AMEX. Bolding is mine as I think it is key, while yes for those categories one can easily get >1.25 airline miles per $ spent, I would think that that overall avg consumer will earn <1.25 miles per $ spent when other purchases are avg in. (I don't know for sure, just guessing based on my own CC spending habits). do you happen to know the cost of this card offhand?

I also thought I had heard of an Asiana CC earning 2 miles per $ spent on all purchases, might be ok if *A is one's program of choice.

17. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure the cost of this one is $175. So a lot higher than the SPG Amex.

18. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll shut up after this so that it doesn't get too off topic. What I'll say is I agree SPG AMEX is the best all around card to use on a daily basis. That said, I want to offer two qualifications: 1) the hotel redemption isn't that great given the high point requirements for SPG's high category properties compared to other major chains; and 2) AMEX has offered good to generous bonus points not only to Delta but also to BA and other more useful programs as well. So I guess if the airline you will fly with happens to be a 'good' partner of AMEX, the case can be made that you will get a better deal out of the membership rewards program. Again, that's not saying the SPG AMEX card shouldn't be in anyone's wallet, especially given its flexibility as one doesn't always know where (s)he will fly and stay.

19. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

Last year in June was 50%UA, 50%UA and 35%AA

LINK

I'm waiting till then.