time needed to connect between jfk and lga

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by antey86, Sep 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    hi, guys!
    I am going to get jfk by international flight and I have flight from lga in 2.5 hours after arrival to jfk.

my flight arrives at 5pm in the friday, I need about hour to pass over border officer. so I am going to get a cab around 6-6:30. my flight from lga at 7:40.
    I saw traffic by google map, 678th and grand central pretty loaded. just afraid to get stuck in traffic.
    I know 2.5 isnt enough, so I will not check in my bags and I will try to get a cab. what can I do else to get more time to connect?
    could someone give me an advice how to make connection quickly?

thanx!

2. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    also, I am going to check in my flight from lga online, to save a bit time.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.
    Book a different flight.
    Expect that it will not happen.

Sorry to provide bad news, but odds of making that connection are very, very, very low.

IDGflygirl and skyvan like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, NY Helicopter offers transfer services but that's probably way out of the price range you'd consider!

Unfortunately traffic is unpredictable but you would very likely not have enough time.

If you try anyhow, when traffic is really bad the best way may actually be to take mass transit -- a cab to the subway (no highways involved) and then the subway to the JFK airtrain, but we're still talking a lot of time. A cab normally would be faster but you could decide at the last minute based upon traffic.

Is the connection on the same carrier? Note some airlines (e.g. DL) include the transfer for free if you ask, not that it helps much regarding the time.

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    airlines are different ( aeroflot and delta.
    can I ask tsa employee to help me go ahead of queue to boarder officer after arrival by international flight? it could reduce time I would spend in queue.
    I will try to get lga by alternative route, something like

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      225.2 KB
      Views:
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately 495 is just as often a parking lot as 678. Really depends on luck... wishing you plenty, let us know how it goes!

8. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    I will let know )

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you an American Citizen or on the list of countries eligible for Global Entry? If so it's worth it as that just might make this a makeable connection assuming no secondary. With Global Entry at LAX yesterday I was through landside about 10 minutes after landing at the furthest terminal gate location. Global Entry really does do wonders.

10. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    I am not American citizen(( Russia...

11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have everything going against you. Immigration at JFK can often be a long, long wait and you're trying to make the transfer at the worst time in the entire week. If you were arriving domestically at JFK, you would have a hope but as it is, your only real hope is that someone hijacks the plane and forces it to land at La Guardia rather than JFK.

If this is a single ticket, you could try to get a routing that leaves from JFK -- even if you have to make an extra connection somewhere, you're more likely to get to your final destination.

viguera, misman and skyvan like this.
  12. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, no, unless you are a very very very good customer of your airline, the immigration lines for non-Americans do not have a "fast connection" option.

You pretty much are landing at the worst possible time traffic-wise. Don't know how international arrivals are at 4 pm, but chances are ... you will miss your flight.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but it's a crap-shoot at best.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are arriving on SU, you will arrive at terminal T-1, today that flight was 57 minutes early (according to flightstats), however, that means bupkiss. If you are flying front of the plane, and have no checked in luggage; you can shave off about 10-15 minutes. In the 4PM-5PM time slot AF from CDG, LOt from WAW, TK from IST also arrive at T-1.

If I were betting person; I'd say you have 4 in 10 chances to make the LGA flight. In that 4 chances, one could include a local Queens based carservice that might take you through the side streets of Queens.

Sorry not much help, but a clarification of the parameters.

14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Even with helicopter service it is unlikely that you will make your connection. I would book another flight now and avoid getting stuck without a connection.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the OP's final destination? LGA being a smallish DL hub, it could be that there are other flights, even indirect ones, out of there that evening on which the OP could just be rebooked.

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100% with the bad news that he absolutely not make a Delta flight with 2 1/2 hours. I just did DL out of LGA on Tuesday and the congestion because of traffic is horrendous... the passenger congestion due to the ongoing construction at the terminal is even worse.

I parked off airport at the Dollar on 94th (never again, but I digress) -- which is literally down the street from the terminal -- and got in the shuttle (which was leaving) and it still took me 45 minutes to get to the airport and through security to gate C30.

Granted, some days the stars just align but it's asking for a lot... Maybe the flight will be early, and you'll clear immigration in a hurry, and there won't be a huge line of people waiting for taxis, and for some reason both the Van Wyck *and* Grand Central will be empty on a Friday evening, and you can breeze through security at LGA...

But I'd say if you had a local cohort that could scoop you from JFK that would eliminate the taxi line and probably try to deal with traffic by taking some shortcuts... if nothing else, that might shave a few minutes off.

Good luck, but smart money says it's pretty much impossible. Although I'd definitely like to follow along and see what happens :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OP is going JFK->LGA, not the other way around. And that will make a difference with the immigration bit being quite unpredictable.

viguera likes this.
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I think you could work it backwards, although I agree the time constraints would make it difficult. If you happen to breeze through JFK and take the AirTrain out, LGA is still not subway friendly... maybe if you had a taxi / Uber car waiting for you at Jamaica and ready to go, that would eliminate some of the variables.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you could work it backwards, but the immigration/customs aspect as a wildcard is quite significant. So is the fact that the AirTrain isn't always running these days (or ever, really).

There is a cab/car service stand at the LIRR station there so getting a car should be a bit easier, but at rush hour that's still a gamble. And you're still looking at some time on the highways to get from there over to LGA.

The OP might get lucky and make it on time. But I would not bet on that.

viguera likes this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sense is that this has now revealed itself to be a multi-dimensional problem that requires multi-dimensional thinking, since the one-dmensional solution (how to get from JFK to LGA in time to make the connection) is highly risky. NYC is an exciting city; how about working a deal with DL to stay overnight in the city and catching another flight the next day, even the same one in late evening, if getting to destination is not urgent? That is what I would be considering right about now...;)

viguera likes this.
  21. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    I booked non-refundable ticket. next flight will departs in the next day. I will ride by greyhound at 11pm if I will lose my flight. but hope I will be lucky dont miss my flight from lga )
    thanks for help!

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That you purchased a non-refundable ticket does not mean that DL would not recognize the extenuating circumstances of the situation and try to help out. It would be worth it to discuss possible alternatives with a DL agent upon your arrival.

Best of lucks!

viguera likes this.
  23. antey86

antey86 New Member

Status Points:
    I got lga for 1.5 hrs about after I left plane) remember, my flight was international... didnt expect so fast )
    thanks 2 all, guys!

IDGflygirl and viguera like this.
  24. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm very impressed. Thanks for following up to let us know.

viguera and GenevaFlyer like this.
  25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Curious. How long did customs take?

viguera and GenevaFlyer like this.