Time 2 Brag: Your Best Premium Redemptions.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mo26, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,

My travel patterns for work have me re-kindling my AoR's for the coming year (deciding to even have them at all) and considering my travel plans for the next 3 years. For me, it's more about how I get there, then where I land. Here is my bucket list:

Emirates, Cathay, Singapore (are those three not on anyones list :)), British Airways (yes i know about the fees!), Etihad, Swiss, and maybe Lufthansa.

I've scoured award charts, and far too many blogs, but i was just wondering if ya'll wanted to brag a little and tell me how many miles you burned (and from which program) to score a 1st or biz seat on one of these products.....

I'm particularly interested on anything that was transferred through MR, since I have avoided this program to date, but if another 100k offer comes out, it could be too good to pass up!

Happy Bragging!!!!

- MO

2. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not really bragging, but getting a pair of TATL F seats on LH was pretty painless. 135k total UA miles each way for the pair. Book J seats first, then switch to F once inside the 14-day window. Pro tip: call UA the evening of the 15th day before the flight (it's already past midnight in Germany on the 14th day prior).

k_malm, Quasiconvexity and mo26 like this.
  3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    NICE !!!!!! bonus points for the stuffed platypus! :)

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not bragging because a lot of others have similar or better redemptions.

Personal redemption: JFK-HKG-BKK in CX F, HKG-NRT-FRA-MUC-EWR on TG F and LH F.

I'd like to fly: QF A380 F, EK A380 F, SQ A380 Suites, LX A333 F, KE A380 F, OZ New F, and NH 77W F.

mo26 likes this.
  5. viAAjero

viAAjero Active Member

Status Points:
    My only two premium redemptions have been:

*SFO-HKG in CX F (stop), HKG-SGN in CX J, HAN-NRT in JL J (stop) and HND-SFO in JL J.

*SFO-SEA-YVR in AS F (stop), YVR-LHR-ZRH in BA J, MAD-BOS in IB J, BOS-SFO in AA F

mo26 likes this.
  6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only award redemptions, but I'd consider CX, SQ and EK F services to be the best. Not all service is the same, as F on a regional route is not going to be the same as F suites.

mo26 likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA p.s. F JFK-SFO, SQ R SFO-HKG, TG F HKG-BKK.

The SQ was on the inaugural A380 out of SFO so there was a bit of a party about it. TG was on their A380 as well.

For EK F I paid for it.

mo26 likes this.
  8. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even that i had a LX,CX,TG C and CX,SQ F still i love one of my AA redemptions:HND-JFK(+ JFK-HNL on HA F as the one way freebie) followed by an LAX( again the freebie)-JFK-HKG-BKK on CX F.from HNL to LAX flew AA on avios so i spent 12,500 on a trip to Hawaii and about 80% on premium cabins.

mo26 likes this.
  9. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That confused the hell out of me, but i want 1 !

10. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two business class Cathay Pacific tickets San Francisco to Bangkok (via Hong Kong) for 100,000 Alaska Airlines miles each. Very comfortable flat seats (all with access to the isle), excellent food and service. Very easy to obtain - one phone call.

mo26 likes this.
  11. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    100k each way?

12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think my best personal redemption was several years ago when you could still get partner first class on Delta points. I scored two first class seats and three business class seats for my entire family to fly Korean Air from LAX to Seoul and then on to Bangkok from Seoul. We were all on the same flights which is not easy for five people redeeming miles.

mo26 likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've done 5 F products on a single award (LH, UA, TG, NH, OZ)
    I've done NH/TG/SQ F on a single trip where there were no other pax ORD-NRT (NH F) and BKK-NRT (TG F).
    I've had a KE F cabin to myself as well.
    I've flown a upwards of a dozen CX F flights.
    I did an award with QF F and TN F (only mentioned because go redeem for TN F anymore...)
    I've spent much time in Lufthansa's First Class Terminal and Thai's first class spa.
    Upcoming redemptions in EY F and SQ F.

And these are personal travels I've redeemed some pretty cool awards for others of course.

mo26 likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personal best redemption: AF1, AF2. Concorde. 160k Delta points per person. :)
    Second best: SQ F (and J) to the Maldives (also using Delta points).

Recent very good redemption: Four seats in a premium cabin from AUH to JFK (via LHR) during Christmas break. F from AUH-LHR, J across the Atlantic. Say what you will about Avios, for those looking to have families travel together in a premium cabin - even at peak periods - it is a great program.

guberif and mo26 like this.
  15. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked F LH ORD-FRA-ARN and back with a stopover in FRA in Dec '10 using USDM for July '11- a few months later, that became harder to do. It was a great trip. We have F CX SEA-YVR-HKG-DPS and back coming up in May that I am pretty excited about. I haven't done in crazy redemptions but I am very happy with the trips we took. I love seeing what others do as I can learn and get ideas for the future!

mo26 likes this.
  16. AJTrenkle

AJTrenkle Active Member

Status Points:
    What's the consensus on the absolute best Airline, Plane Type, and Class (I guess this would be F) for a premium redemption?

17. JWHPN

JWHPN Silver Member

Status Points:
    My best redemption last year was a pretty simple one. JFK-SLC-JFK in Y for my wife and me. During ski season, those tickets were going for $1000 a pop, so 50k miles each was worth it to start. Booked it to start with a connection returning, which I was able to schedule change to direct. Then when we were about to fly home, we took a voluntary bump for $1300 cash EACH to take the next flight (redeye) home. Unbelievable. Paid for our trip by taking the next flight. I'd say I got pretty good value out of 100k Skypesos on that one.

mo26 likes this.
  18. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this F mini-RTW with AC miles:
    YYC - YVR (AC C) - FRA (LH F) - BKK (TG F) - SIN (SQ C) - BKK (SQ C) - HKG (TG F) - ICN (OZ C) - LAX (OZ F) - SFO (UA "F") - YYC (UA C)

ICN-LAX in OZ F was without question the best flight of my life.

Then I've done several redemptions in C between NA and Asia with US miles, the most recent being:
    TPE - PEK (CA C) - ICN (CA C) - SFO (UA C) - YYC (UA C) - YVR (AC C) - NRT (AC C) - TPE (UA C)

PEK-ICN on CA was excellent and won me over to CA.