Tighter seats and less leg room

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by guinnessxyz, Oct 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...n-smaller/article14880701/#dashboard/follows/

The big U.S. airlines are taking out old, bulky seats in favour of so-called slim-line models that take up less space from front to back, allowing for five or six more seats on each plane.

The changes, covering some of the most common planes flown on domestic and international routes, give the airlines two of their favourite things: More paying passengers, and a smaller fuel bill because the seats are slightly lighter. It’s part of a trend among the airlines to view seats as money-makers, not just pieces of furniture. Add a bit of legroom and airlines can charge more for tickets. Take some away and they can fit more seats on the plane.

bez7, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall the idea to install slim-line seats is a great one, to fill the opened up space with more seats, less so.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    bez7 and Mapsmith like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using additional seats and carrying additional passengers and their luggage increases rather than decreases weight. The fuel bill becomes higher for the flight, although the airline can sell more tickets too.

bez7 and uggboy like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there truly less legroom with these slimline seats, or are the seats themselves just "thinner"?

Even if there is not, it may appear to be less legroom just because the seats are not as wide.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though my shoulders get bumped into, I really like aisle seats on UA & AA that have an armrest that lift up.

I haven't noticed any less legroom.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    flyforawg, bez7, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  6. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't noticed a big difference in leg room but what I have noticed is the narrower aisles - quite a few times on my last flight I noticed people accidentally bumping into me whilst making their way to the toilet and every time the drinks trolley came down it would hit my shoulder. *i was sitting on an end seat*

flyforawg, bez7, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really like the typo "Slime-Line" Reminds me of how clean the interiors of Domestic Airlines have become.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    OOOPS! Maybe it wasn't a typo after all. :D

bez7 likes this.
  9. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with that assessment. Just went from SNA-DFW with the slimlines where I was 6'3, middle pax was 6'6, and aisle pax was 6'2, and we were tight at the shoulders, but fairly comfy with the legs...until the pax in front of us *tried* to recline...emphasis on tried...*removing knees from back*

flyforawg and bez7 like this.
  10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    But what about those overweight passengers? I can't imagine this is pleasant for them or the passengers next to them...more encroachment. I just can't see how the slimlines are good for anyone but the airlines...

bez7 likes this.
  11. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    flyforawg and bez7 like this.
  12. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds about right, two seats for POS two rows apart. I hope the fellow got his seat problem resolved.