Tight Turnarounds as a Non-Status Member?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Dec 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'm going for EXP in January 2012. Initially, that will be as a non-status member. As I plan out my SFO-ORD turnarounds, I'm wondering how advisable it is to book 70-minute turns. I'll leave a bit of recovery time after some turns, but what happens if I'm moving on to the next ticket, and I miss my flight due to a misconnect? Will something like a standby penalty come into play?

Thanks.....

zpaul likes this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA is quite good about putting you on the next flight, provided two conditions are true: there is a next flight and there is room on it. There would be no standby penalty, but you would be on standby. If either of those conditions is not true, things can go to pot in a hurry. It is possible that you can get stuck at the out-of-town end (ORD?) overnight, and have to finish your run the next day. If the problem was not AA's fault, like weather (and there is plenty of weather in ORD in January, and some in SFO), AA will not pay for your hotel and meals. If you have to work the day following your mileage runs, you may have some 'splainin' to do.

If something in the middle gets blown away, you can cut to the end, offering to waive the flights in the middle. The key is to have them put a note in every PNR that you don't fly that you are to receive "Original Routing Credit" for the flights that you did not fly. Also they should annotate your PNR if you are not flying earlier flights on that PNR that the PNR should not be cancelled for later flights that you are going to fly. You would then need to call in after you return home to have the flights you didn't fly posted with original routing credit. I don't know whether this would screw up your bonus EQMs under either of the applicable promos - it shouldn't, but it depends on how AA programmed the sweeps. You might have quite a time trying to get the bonus EQMs.

Skye1, rwoman, zpaul and 1 other person like this.
  3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Safer doing turnarounds at non-hubs, especially if the same aircraft is used for both flights.

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this is very helpful. No PNR has more than two flights, just out and back from SFO to ORD with 6 PNRs, and from ORD to LAX with 3 PNRs.

So who best to annotate the PNR in the event of irregularities, the gate agent or AA Reservations? I can also get reimbursed for a limited number of visits to the Admirals Club, and this might be an excellent time to use that opportunity for better ticketing assistance.

5. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As to the AC visits, you might be best served to purchase a 30 day pass for $99, especially considering a one day pass is $50.

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whoever is given the task of rebooking you. Remember, they are in a jam. They have lots of people to rebook, have to find a satisfactory solution for each passenger. Say "I can make it easy for you - I don't have to fly flight #XXX and flight #YYY if you can put a note in each record that I am to get Original Routing Credit.

As an example - you have booked flight AAA SFO-ORD, flight BBB ORD-SFO, flight CCC SFO-ORD, flight DDD ORD-SFO. Flight AAA arrives late, after BBB has left. I would call reservations, explain what happened, tell them you can blow off BBB and CCC if you can get ORC and they can make sure DDD doesn't get cancelled when you don't board CCC. They will usually jump at this offer. You go relax and wait for DDD. You will have to call in to have BBB and CCC manually posted - I would wait until AAA and DDD have posted.

rwoman, zpaul and Explore like this.
  7. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks gemac, this is very helpful. I wouldn't have thought of this strategy, or that you could potentially get ORC in this situation. Hats off to you.

8. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense for most people, but American Express will only pay for single lounge visits through their Skyguide Executive Privilege Club.

zpaul likes this.
  9. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We might be on several of the same flights! Doing 7 RT's SFO to ORD in January as well. Most are the 6:10am flights there, 2:05 coming back.

rwoman, zpaul and Explore like this.
  10. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing half redeyes, half later daytime flights out of SFO. Ugh to the redeyes; at least I have a window seat assigned.

rwoman, zpaul and carwag25 like this.
  11. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... redeye flights in Y... that's rough. Good luck!

12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are welcome. Remember that when IRROPS occur, agents have a lot of discretion in solving the problems. Several days later, not so much. That's why it is important to get a note in the PNR that you are only accepting this solution based on the assurance that you will get ORC. Several days later, when you call in to get it, you are dealing with an entirely different agent who is not under the gun.

13. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been doing SFO/ORD as my main source for miles for three years now. I've never had a cancellation and only short delays during the winter time. The only constant issue you'll have is weather at SFO (fog). As long as you take the earlier flights to ORD so you'll have more options coming back in case you miss your return flight I think you'll be ok. If you get into bind coming back west make sure you tell the agent that you can take SJC too. This will give you an extra flight back. They won't charge you for the city change if it's because of a missed connection or cancellation. I prefer to call aadvantage with any issues because it's quicker than standing in line. Unless you have an Admirals Club monthly membership (which I recommend along with gogo internet) because their lines are shorter. I think you can do it by the end of March...I wish I could afford to, but PLT is cool :)

S/N...I've noticed they've started using the older 737's for this route (row 13,14 exit row) these planes don't have power outlets in every row like the new 737's (row 14,15 exit row) and the ones they have are DC. So make sure you check the seat map if you need some juice.

Explore and rwoman like this.
  14. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I just had an issue with a weather-related cancellation, from SFO-ORD on an SFO-ORD-LAX-ORD-SFO sequence. These are separate SFO-ORD-SFO and ORD-LAX-ORD reservations, of course.

AAdvantage appeared unwilling to give original routing credit for ORD-LAX-ORD unless I actually flew those segments, later if necessary.....they offered a refund as Plan B.

Luckily AAdvantage found Y space on a later (redeye) SFO-ORD flight, which Reservations hadn't been able to locate. But if no later flight existed in time to connect to LAX, I might have been SOL. Any advice in that future case?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'd say book your tickets together to avoid that situation. If you buy separate tickets you'll always run the risk of not making you next flight and since your contract for the first ticket is to go A-B-A, they don't have to accommodate you on your B-C-B ticket (whether that's finding you a way to get to C or giving you ORC). As mentioned above, many GAs/TAs will try to assist you, but there is not obligation if there are no seats and no other flights.

Always a risk, but that's what travel is about, eh? ;)

rwoman likes this.
  16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And Mother Nature gets her vote...especially in the winter! ;)

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And ORD isn't exactly prone to getting good votes in the winter either. :p

rwoman likes this.
  18. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hoping I do not have issues on the 29th on my way back to LHR...that said, since I leave LAX that morning, I have many options if the weather causes issues.

:)

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Plus lounge access, so even stuck for a few hours, you'll live. :)

20. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - and I should be carry on only that day. :) Coworkers want me to stop at Dunkin Donuts at ORD if possible to bring them donuts for Monday morning.

John777 likes this.
  21. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you book roundtrips together without it becoming a multi-city trip? And AFAIK, you need to book straight round-trips to get the current ORD DEQM bonus miles. I assume any phone booking would incur a fee.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe you can book a multi-city with the same O&D.

MRing has its ups and downs, you're running into one of the downs. AA is generally pretty accomodating, but if you're not booked on the same ticket the obligation to be helpful ends quicker than if you had all your tickets booked on the same PNR.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't the trip need to be a RT to get the DEQM? If so, how could SFO-ORD-LAX-ORD-SFO count as a RT? I would assume that SFO-ORD-LAX is not a valid routing for SFO-LAX and vv.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OP booked them as separate tickets, thus his problem when misconnecting and ORC.