Tight schedule in London and at LHR

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Filler03, Nov 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for a bit of advice: My wife and I have US passports flying Vienna to Heathrow (with a connection in Munich) all on Lufthansa on December 26th (Boxing Day). Our Munich to LHR flight is scheduled to land at 12:25. We are trying to get to North London for the Arsenal FC match at Emirates Stadium which kicks off at 15:00.
    I was going to take the Heathrow Express to the tube to get there but both the HEX and the Heathrow connect are down for repairs on 12/26 and 12/27. The tube website says from Heathrow to Arsenal on the Piccadilly line it should take about and hour and 40 minutes maximum. Two questions: is this accurate and how long should we expect it to take to get through customs at Heathrow?
    Thanks

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll need to take the Tube (Christmas/New Years Travel). Right now, there are discussion of a strike on Boxing Day, so I'd watch that issue to see if your journey is affected. I would not worry about the HEX being closed - with having to transfer to Kings Cross, I think it's easier to just take the Piccadilly Line anyway..and certainly cheaper. 1h40m is probably a good estimate from T1 to Arsenal.

As far as clearing immigration, it can really vary, estimate 45m-1 hour, but you never know. Depends on timing of your arrival with other flights carring pax with non-EU passports.

There will be no National Rail service (First Capital Connect - LINK) on Boxing Day (26 Dec) on the Great northern route, so the Tube is your primary option for getting around and up to see Arsenal play.

All Network Rail Services - Christmas and New Year Travel Summary 2012 / 2013

jbcarioca likes this.