Tight Connection Strategy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by flyforawg, Oct 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking for the best strategy when I have a flight on two different airlines. Connection is about an hour apart. Is it better to check in to the second flight before I take off on the first flight or to not be checked in until I land? If it makes a difference, the second flight is on UA and I am 1K.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best to be checked in, assuming you want to make the flight.

I assume this is purchased on two separate reservations. If so, UA doesn't have to do anything for you if you show up late and miss the flight.

Also, will you have checked bags? Is the connection domestic or international? At what airport? All of this plays in to cutoff times and the likelihood of actually making the connection.

Good luck.

wrxmom likes this.
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Smartest move, in my opinion, is to book your seating on the first flight in such a manner as to be able to deplane as rapidly as possible; that shaves quite a few minutes on a large aircraft. Checking-in beforehand is also a good move, lest you run afoul of a cut-off time for check-in for your connecting flight.

Good luck, indeed!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    All good advice above - check-in unless you want to risk missing check-in cut off. In most cases, if you miss the second flight you're technically screwed (although in practice, at least in US just about every airline will happily put you on the next flight that has space, be it an hour or in a day). Oneworld carriers actually do have a policy that technically does protect you on separate tickets - but again, you still end up on the next flight with available space in either case.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    See if the first airline will let you stand by for an earlier flight? Get to the connection city earlier, check out the lounge scene, etc. I would check in for the connection before boarding the first flight.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies and sorry to be away from this. I thought I had monitored the thread so assumed I would get a reply. User error will get you every time.

This trip was an odd one. JFK-SFO on AA. The deal was a 2 for 1 for both of us. Had to travel on to STL alone and had already booked UA SFO-JFK STL previously.

Time between scheduled landing and scheduled departure was 1 hour 45 minutes, so was confident it was safe assuming no IRROPS, but you just never know. I'm a planner so I'd never put myself in this position before but the cost benefit was well worth the risk.

Long story short. Checked in to UA in the wee hours before boarding AA. Landed early and made the connection with plenty of time to spare.

Uncle flyforawg doesn't recommend this for you kids out there! Don't do drugs and stay in school, too. :p

Anyhow, I thought it would be best to be checked in as advised, but wanted to confirm with the collective wisdom here. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013