Tight Connection & little time with long line.....

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gaucho, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does one get away with cutting in line with the TSA folks... you would have your boarding pass to back up your story of course.... if there is an elite line its easy enough, but what if there is only one line.... ideas...?

DeltaExpert and Concerto like this.
  2. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anytime I have been tight for time, I talk to the airline about it. They take me right up to the line and they deal with the TSA.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a matter of jumping ahead if a family with kids or other group that I suspect will be slow, I ask them nicely. They're usually glad to let me go first and avoid the pressure to move quickly. However, If TSA notices that you're worried about time, they're likely to pull you aside for additional screening, so try not to look worried/nervous/concerned about time.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... I usually try this but sometimes its a middle of itin connection and I dont need to get to a check in desk..... but I get your point. Thanks.

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point..... I forgot about the TSA paranoia.... :rolleyes:

6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    At JFK, they have airline employees asking if you have a flight departing now-to a certain time to come up and go to the front of the line. I have seen this at other stations as well.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    First and foremost, you should be sure you really are cutting it tight - if you are at the id check podium 25 mins before departure at most airports, most able bodied adults will probably make their flight.

If you really are late, you just have to approach this with a dash of daring do and fairness. If the check-in desks are close to the checkpoint, it's often worth asking the lobby director or an agent if they will take you to the front of the line. If the answer is no, you can approach the TSO at the podium (never heard them say yes though). If you start asking other passengers in line to let you in, you had better be specific about your departure time and be prepared to hear them ask why they should they let you in front of a bunch of people when others in line are flying at the same time as you.

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember, though, that they can close the doors to the plane as early as 10 min prior to scheduled departure time, so "25 mins before departure" could actually be 15 minutes prior to doors closing. That's going to be very close, at best, at a larger airport like ATL, ORD, LAX, etc, particularly if you have to go to a remote concourse. Even the run down to the end of the concourse at EWR can take some time.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some GAs start to give away seat assignments fifteen minutes before scheduled departure time. Also, you could be delayed at the security checkpoint for a grope or to wait while they swab your belongings and analyze the results. The nude-o-scope tends to be slow. While twenty-five minutes from the podium might enable you to make the flight, you won't always be so lucky.

gobluetwo likes this.