Tight Connection Inquiry - JFK MU C T1 -> JFK DL Y T3

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by beofotch, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

On a Friday afternoon in early September, my girlfriend and I are arriving at JFK T1 on China Eastern from PVG to JFK at 2:25PM. We will be in business class.

We have a connecting flight at 4:00PM on Delta from JFK - CLT out of Terminal 3. We will have checked bags and are US passport holders.

We knew going in that the 1 hour 35 minute international arrival connection would be ambitious. Fortunately there is an 8:00PM JFK - CLT we can standby on should we miss the connection (as well as service on US Air & Jet Blue should we miss the connection due to mechanical and the fact that they 4:00PM JFK - CLT doesn't have a great on-time percentage)

Our questions are:

Does anyone have experience making this T1 to T3 connection at JFK? I am guessing the fastest way is via the AirTrain?

Neither of us have Delta status. Is there a priority line at T3? Can we use it with our Business Class arrival boarding passes (JFK - CLT is only in coach) or with my US Airways Platinum.

Best regards,

Beofotch

2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only way for you to make that connection from T1 to T3 is really the AirTrain because you are arriving on an international flight and will have to go through immigration and customs. Remember that you will have to collect your bag and go through customs before re-checking your bag. And since you are leaving on DL via another terminal there's a good chance you have to take your luggage with you to T3 and re-check it. Someone else here can confirm this for sure but I think it's accurate.

If you flash your PVG boarding pass that shows business class you may be allowed in the line but if the person in that line is checking closely they will deny you because it's not a valid JFK boarding pass. Chances of this working aren't great.

Your USAirways Plat card means nothing at T3 and won't get you in the short security line either. Honestly, the only thing that may work is that you have so little time to make your flight that they should let you use the line.

Bottom line, 1:35 is a ridiculously short connection for these flights at JFK. And that's assuming the weather is good and things are operating smoothly at JFK...which doesn't seem to happen that often.

Did you book this as one ticket? If so then whoever you booked it with has responsibility to get you to CLT. So if DL booked the ticket then you can call them when you're at JFK and ask to be put on the later flight if you're going to miss the connection.

I highly recommend something like Global Entry which can save you a lot of time at immigration and customs.

-RM

viguera likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're in the USA, there's plenty of time to get Global Entry before then. I think this is your only hope of making a 4 pm connection.

IME the DL elite security lines at JFK are quite slow, even when there aren't a lot of people in line. DL's T2 and T3 facilities at JFK are very crowded and it can be a long walk to some gates. Since these are 100% DL terminals, only a DL FC boarding pass or DL elite status will give you access to the elite lines. Also, if you must bring the luggage to T3 yourself, be aware that DL is strict about baggage check in cutoff times.

DL offers Same Day Confirmed (fee for those who are not DL elites) within three hours of the desired flight, but nonelites are normally not permitted to fly standby.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience as well. Plus I can verify they are quite strict on the cutoff times (5 minutes late, but a Job Well Done certificate made time go backwards)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were lucky. I've always been told they can't make exceptions because of TSA and I did once miss it by less than a minute, thanks to a kiosk that locked me out about five minutes before the cutoff.

6. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is an update:

We will have all carry-on bags which will speed along the process. We can also do OLCI for the Delta flight while preparing to depart in PVG.

Per flightstats.com the 4:00PM JFK - CLT on DL departs 30 minutes or more late more than 30% of the time so that will also help.

Thanks for the responses and insight.

Beofotch

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this situation, you could be through so quickly with Global Entry, with not even having to wait for checked bags.

Since your trip isn't until September, yo really should apply now for Global Entry if you're eligible It's only $100 for five years, although there are some ways to get it comped (AmEx regular platinum card, for example)..