Ticket reissue on upgrades

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Dec 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find UA is somewhat inconsistent when it comes to ticketing where upgrades or minor flight time changes are involved. More often than not, on international flight bookings, when R space is confirmed after being wait listed, I don't get a new ticket issued, or at least emailed to me. (I always get one when this happens with AA international flights.) However, on a current booking for flights in February, there is a notation on the booking (in red) to call UA about having my ticket re-issued.

! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued.

This is a miles upgrade and all but one segment have now cleared since making the original booking and upgrade requests a few weeks ago. There's no other change to flight times or numbers. So not sure why the ticket is not automatically reissued but I'd prefer to wait until the final segment is confirmed before I call to have the ticket reissued. Is delaying contact otherwise going to affect my booking?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, and if you wait long enough someone in the back office will just clean it up anyways.

Basically when an upgrade is requested a second segment is added in to the reservation . When it clears the extra segment needs to be removed for things to work smoothly on day of travel. If you call in they'll clean it up with you over the phone. Otherwise they do it later.

Olton Hall likes this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suspected that. I'd rather just wait until the upgrade clears (or doesn't) on this last segment. It's one of those flights with a same plane enroute stop, one segment has cleared the longer one hasn't. So I suppose UA will have to split that "coupon" if the upgrade doesn't clear. Just curious as I've never experienced this before with UA. On one AA upgrade a new ticket/ticket number was issued and this caused me problems as my check-in initial segment was on JL. Using the original ticket number JL couldn't find my booking and check me in. Fortunately I found an email copy of the new one on my iPod and we completed check-in.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA does not change the ticket number when an upgrade clears IME.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got one of those yesterday when the upgrade for the TPAC segment of my January HKG-SFO-JFK flight cleared [welcome news actually]. Sometimes, the message would simply ask that one hit "Continue" to clear the condition (which makes sense to me since there is no point to call UA every time an upgrade clears) or there would be the message about calling UA for a ticket reissue. I have been ignoring the latter message for some time now and every time I did, the condition resolved itself within a couple of days, as it just did this time.

Solution: ignore.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems the message disappeared on my res too.