Ticket Name: Can you help me please ?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Sirae, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sirae

Sirae New Member

Status Points:
    Hello i'm sorry if this is asked a lot but if you could spare 5 min and help me it would be very kind of you !

So I have a little situation here I go:
    I booked a flight from Lisbon to Mauritius on emirates website, and I put my first and last name (Matthew Bennett) as they asked me. A few days ago my first passport arrived and on the last name field it says (John Bennett), which actually is my middle name and my last name.

On the emirates website they say that the name on the passport should match exactly the one on the ticket :(

So I would like to know if it's going to be a problem for me.
    Can you please help me with that ?

Thank you.

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time someone booked a ticket for me and put in the wrong DOB, I was not allowed to check-in online. I had to go to the airport earlier than usual to get it fixed at the airport on the day of my flight (I didn't find out about the error until the online check-in didn't work). Once they matched my identification, they fixed the error and I was allowed to travel. I'm not sure if it's the same process for a wrong name, but a call to the airline should set you at ease with what you need to do.

Good luck, and welcome to MP! :)

3. Sirae

Sirae New Member

Status Points:
    Ok so I did what you told me and apparently you only need Firstname and Lastname to match so for future viewers don't worry if you have the same problem !

4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if they put your middle name as your last name it's their fault so you should definitely ask for a new passport with the correct data.obviously that's only if its a US passport.
    I have a couple of different citizenships and I don't have 2 documents with the exact same spelling/hyphens :)
    And that's a little off your question but a little while ago I booked a ticket to my sister in law and messed up her last name.checked with the airline and apparently you can have a maximum of 3 letter difference between the passport and the booking(as of BA so who knows....)

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would expect different airlines to have their own policies on this. In addition to the airline, do you need to worry about government employees, such as TSA, causing trouble if the names don't match for your itinerary?