Ticket issued but CC charge is still pending, for over a week

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Jan 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have what seems to me like a strange situation. I booked an international reward trip with an in-lap infant. I have ticket numbers for all passengers, including the infant. The charges for taxes on reward tickets have posted to the credit card.

However, the credit card charge for the infant ticket hasn't gone through. It appears pending.

We talked to UA a couple of days after booking and they said everything is confirmed, and we do have confirmation emails with ticket numbers. But now it has been a full week since booking, and the charge is still pending.

should I be worried? I think I can add an infant at any point, is that correct? But if we do it closer to the trip (e.g., at the airport on day of travel), will we have to pay a higher amount because the full ticket might cost more at that point?

appreciate any advice/insight, thanks!

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that you have e-ticket numbers for all passengers including the infant, you should be good to go. The fact that the e-ticket has been issued is all you should need to check in & travel.

It is fairly safe to assume that the credit card charge will post eventually (UA will not be giving you a freebie here). If it never posts, you should feel free to contact UA and ask them to take your money (and presumably if you do not do this, their accounting department will follow up eventually).

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with mherdeg that you "should be good to go." As to your question about whether or not you "should" be worried, every major airline with a board has a story about something that "should" have been no issue at all turning into one at the worst possible time. At check in.

Depending on how important the amount of taxes for the infant may be to you (I would think not very), you might want to continue to follow up just to make sure you don't have a departure surprise of the wrong kind. Just MHO.

4. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just taxes (which are constant), for international trips they charge 10% of actual ticket price, and I assume this amount fluctuates with the price itself, so it could be significantly higher on the day of departure (US-EU-US, out in business, back in first) - but maybe that assumption is wrong.

I'll continue following up. Thanks.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    About 10 years ago, I booked a cruise with airfare from Travelocity. My AA ticket had my name misspelled (my cruise ticket etc didn't, and I entered the information just once). Called Travelocity and after some back and forth they agreed to reticket since it was clearly their problem/fault.

My wife's ticket hit the credit card. My parents' tickets hit my credit card. My ticket didn't (airfare was charged separately, and the reticketing had caused a refund of the original charge). I checked on AA and saw my reservation. After a few days I called Travelocity and asked why they hadn't charged. They looked at my record and said everything was fine and it would be charged eventually. After a week, I called again, same story. I then called AA and asked them to look at my reservation. Everything fine, they said. Eventually I just gave up and figured they'd either charge it or I got lucky... But I had done my duty.

You know where this is going, right?

Maximizer likes this.
  6. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's my worry exactly. But do you think you could have done anything more to prevent the problem?

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your situation is fortunately a bit different in that. Let me continue my story:

The day before the flight to the cruise port I head to the airport to pick up my arriving parents. I have extra time and, still a bit worried, decide to go to the AA checkin counter and check with a human. The gentleman takes one look at the reservations and tells me that I have a reservation and a seat assignment, but no ticket. At that time, I hadn't been "infected" yet and didn't know that that was even possible (you might say I was a Kettle).

To make a long story sort, Travelocity was completely useless and only said they could sell me a ticket at the current fare. Much to his credit, the AA age t spent the next hour working with his supervisor and what I now think is the pricing desk to get my reservation ticketed at the agreed upon price.

Lessons learned for me:

- just because you have a reservation doesn't mean you have a ticket
    - Travelocity isn't a travel agency that has your back
    - Travelocity doesn't own up to their own mistakes
    - even airline agents don't always know what they are doing (I had called AA, the agent hadn't seen that the reservation wasn't ticketed)
    - there is no free lunch (I wouldn't have been able to fly on my "free" ticket)

Back to the OP: not sure what to recommend. You have a ticket number, so that's good. I'd probably call a few more times and ask the agents to look at the ticket. Also print out the receipt so you can prove what the agreed upon fare was, in case someone wants to decide to charge more later. Document all the steps you have taken. Good luck!