THY lounge in IST

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Aug 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is now officially my favourite *A lounge. It has all the usual amenities, of course: bar, buffet areas (3), showers, lockers for your carry-on bags, pool table, kebab grill.....

All that and nice niches for sitting so you don't feel like you're surrounded by 200 FFs.

Triple like!

guinnessxyz likes this.
  2. Thanks for the note. I hope to try it later this year.

3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy it!

4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you YULtide. It is a great lounge.

YULtide likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blows any MLL out of the water. (Which still isn't stopping me from sitting in one in YYZ just now. ;) )

6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely one of the best *A lounges... better than LH Senator lounge in FRA or MUC or AUA Senator lounge in Vienna (but latter comes close), better than Koru Lounge in Auckland, better than SA's Baobab lounge in Johannesburg, and of couse, far better than and UA/US lounge...

YULtide and guinnessxyz like this.
  7. How does it compare to SQ lounges in SIN?

mirohacek likes this.
  8. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesnt... if you are *A and fyling on *A carrier then you can use KrisFlyer Gold lounges (T3, T2), which are still sub-par to KrisFlyer Silver lounges (previously you could also use ServiceAir lounges-blah), reserved for SQ own elites... or business/first passangers on SQ metal...but you can as *a Gold can try KrisFlyer lounges out at certain locations (for instance, Adelaide)...

THY lounge is Istanbul is so far (in my experiences) only comparable to Thai lounges, but only in Bangkok...

9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try the Thai first lounge in Bangkok in November and compare. We visited the general non-first lounge last year and it was indeed very nice, though I prefer the THY lounge.

guinnessxyz and mirohacek like this.
  10. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I would have to choose between the two (TG BKK or THY in IST), choice is easy... THY...

First Class lounge in BKK is entirely different story... definetely one of the top three F lounges around... TG has awesome ground services (not too awesome in-flight one, though...) :)

11. Speaking of TG lounges, I have used the HKG one many times. Although it is a little small I find it a comfortable place and its very close to where AC flights board.

mirohacek and YULtide like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. We always pop in when flying ex-HKG. A very congenial and comfortable spot. We'll try the first-class section in November and see how it compares to the hoi polloi section we usually use.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  13. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also my preffered place in HKG... and close where TK usually boards...

14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of in-flight services, we flew THY from ZRH-IST and a domestic flight IST-ADB return. (Return IST-ZRH was a codeshare on LX). The international flight was a little more than three hours. Nice on-board service in Y. The seats were (I think) the new thinner, leather (-ette?) clad variety. Quite comfortable. 3+3 seating in Y, 2+2 larger seats in J on the international, 3+3 with middle empty in J on domestic.

Both planes were 737-900s. International had seat-back monitors and a good selection of movies. Just after takeoff the FA came through offering turkish delight, followed soon after with a nice hot meal with two choices (and a menu card!). The food was tasty and the accompaniments were pleasant (sorry, it's been a very full two weeks and I didn't take notes, so I can't recall precise details). Full range of beverages offered. Service was attentive.

Domestic Y service was also a pleasant surprise. For a one-hour flight, we were offered a hot meal for lunch on the outbound flight, and a sandwich plus mezze on the return outside meal time. Lounge in ADB was nice enough, at least as good as a typical MLL. The ADB lounge is in temporary space as they rebuild the domestic terminal. Didn't get a chance to try the domestic lounge in IST, as we were unexpectedly offered a change to an earlier flight at check-in, and only had about 15 minutes to clear security and get to the gate.

Bottom line, THY domestic service blew AC out of the water. The international flight in Y was about on par with my usual AC experience in Y. It would be interesting to try a longer international flight. I would definitely fly THY again.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  15. Thanks for the report. I maybe going to the ME before year end and am thinking about taking THY all the way but I would be in J. Might stop over in IST for a few days on the return

YULtide likes this.
  16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say go for it. And if you do stop in IST, take advantage of the online e-visa system to get you in. Link from the TK website. Istanbul is a lovely city.

The Lev and guinnessxyz like this.
  17. Great, thanks.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    TG has mediocre food and not nearly the same level of other amenities on offer, from booze to seating areas to recreation. I like the 30 minute back rub, too, but that's hardly enough to bring the TG lounges up to the level of offering of the TK option.

And I'd still head in to town with 6+ hours on a layover rather than comping out in the lounge. Too much wonderful in Istanbul to waste the opportunity by just sitting in the lounge.

YULtide and mirohacek like this.
  19. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends what time you get there... I was quite happy spending the night in the lounge this summer. And my kids really like the playroom with the Ipads for them to use. A very nice lounge it is.

mirohacek likes this.
  20. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isnt lounge closed during the night (I believe between 1am and 5am)?

21. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't in July this year. I think it says they close on their web site, but it doesn't. They didn't serve food in the middle of the night, but you could still get some snacks and there was plenty of refreshments (with or without alcohol).

guinnessxyz and mirohacek like this.