Throwback Thursday: An Airport Hotel of the 1960s

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/4...wback+Thursday:+An+Airport+Hotel+of+the+1960s

[​IMG]

Sure, we love all the speed and comfort of modern travel, but it didn't that way overnight. Every Thursday, we're going to take a look back at travel the way it used to be, whether that's decades or centuries ago. This is Throwback Thursday, travel edition.
    Are you sitting down? No? You might want to, because we're about to do something crazy. We're going to wax nostalgic for the good ol' days of airport hotels, specifically the Holiday Inns of the 1960s.

Sure, Holiday Inn still exists and they've even gussied up their image and amenities in the last decade especially to appeal to modern travelers, both business and leisure, but there was something special about the midcentury playfulness of the 1960s Holiday Inn that makes us yearn to even spend just one night in a JFK Airport hotel. Shocking!

Sadly, the Holiday Inn at New York's JFK Airport pictured above no longer exists. The building is still there; Google map it & check out the satellite image to see how it's fallen into disrepair and become some office building of sorts.

Read More: http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/4...wback+Thursday:+An+Airport+Hotel+of+the+1960s

Mapsmith, mht_flyer and uggboy like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Holiday Inn JFK in 1965 when the family relocated to Northern California. Don't remember much about it, though. Was much more excited about my first commercial airline flight on UA, probably a 707 back then. I wrote to UA after it and they sent me a nice collection of black and white photos of their aircraft. Wish I had held onto those.

sobore and Mapsmith like this.