Thrillist: How to mix your own craft cocktails at 30K feet

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by dmel, Jan 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...aft-cocktails-at-30-000-feet-thrillist-nation

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...aft-cocktails-at-30-000-feet-thrillist-nation

Sweet Willie and Newscience like this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just mix the cocktail at home, put it in a 3 ounce bottle (which, coincidentally, is about the size of the average cocktail) and ask for a cup of ice on the plane. I've read elsewhere that the prohibition is not consuming alcohol you brought with you, but consuming alcohol not served by the airline -- if so, you could get around the rule by handing the bottle to the FA and asking them to pour it over ice for you (although a friend who does this regularly has never been challenged).

dmel and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And my condolences to those who really need a drink this badly! ;)

Seriously, for those oenophiles who would really enjoy having a high quality wine served to them while onboard the airplane, the options are considerably more limited. Any wine opened and poured into 3 ounce bottles ahead of time would be at risk for oxidation and off tastes/flavors. And (as per many other posts on Milepoint), it's difficult enough to be offered a high quality wine by the airlines in first class, and almost non-existent to be served the same in coach class seating. :(

HaveMilesWillTravel and dmel like this.
  4. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I like the taste of my club soda, and the occasional whisk[e]y, just fine. :)

Newscience likes this.