Thrifty Rental Car rip-off at LAX

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by jonspencer, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    on a recent business trip I rented a mid-sized car and requested only insurance that was mandatory. Later I saw an extra USD 50 for charges per day.

I contacted them to complain and they said I signed for it...........

Never had this problem with other agencies and I rent cars almost every month, if business travelers seriously read the entire rental contract, we would probably never rent a car as the contract is hugely in favor of agent.

What do posters here feel is the best international rental company program?

2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, did you book online? I haven't rented with thrifty in a long while, but you should be given options to check the items you want.

3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did book online, so I was surprised that I got jerked around. I sent Thrifty the email confirmation I received with total charges but they said I signed for extra insurance and that was that. :mad:

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel it's best not to use any one rental program, especially without the confidence that the operator won't rip you off someday. Major airports often have lots of competition from small non-chain outlets. If you take advantage of those, you may end up saving much more than by sticking to any loyalty scheme.

5. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    can you fight it with your credit card company?

bez7 likes this.
  6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not that young :)

life is too short for credit card disputes and it is quite simply a headache

just felt that I was outright cheated, guessing maybe the clerk writing the contract earns a bonus to sell extra coverage?

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually they're not that hard, for example with Chase Sapphire it's a 5-10 minute phone call to challenge the transaction, just say you never signed for it and that if it's showing up someone forged your signature, simple as that.

bez7 and KENNECTED like this.
  8. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    if only it were that easy in Hong Kong, I think it is required that I jump through three rings of fire, then...........

skyvan likes this.
  9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    .....make sure you wear your fire retardant underwear!

jonspencer likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does your company not have a rental car coverage of its own? Ours does, so we're all instructed to never take the car agency's coverage. Had to file a claim once, just sent the information to our travel folks and it was taken care of by them with our insurer.

KENNECTED and bez7 like this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I've had good service from Sixt. I have had occasional wrangles with most every US-based car rental program because there's the franchise acceptance problem on international rentals.
    I've also had good experiences with Europcar but again the benefits and status from Emerald Club don't always translate so i've found myself with "the other guys".

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sixt is open in the US now in some locations, including Atlanta. I've never used them... and I have little loyalty for rental car companies - it's really all about price for me.

What was your experience with Sixt like, and was it domestic or international?

clscholes likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have your copy of the rental agreement which you actually did sign?

If not you're likely hosed on this one.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even stateside where SIXT Is franchised? Been considering using them for a few rentals as I've recently been gifted Diamond status with them.

15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    My experiences with Sixt have all been international. I value my Avis Chairman's Club in the states a little too much to try anyone else....

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rent frequently, but not as much as many on here. Perhaps 80-100 days/year. I have National Executive (not Exec Elite), but National's rates are usually twice anyone else's in most places I rent, so Thrifty becomes my second choice. Without a corporate code, Avis/Hertz are almost always much higher, too.

I just can't find a reason to be truly loyal to any car company. What do you get from Avis that makes this worthwhile? I've read the reviews of CHM, perhaps it's just that I'm not "a car guy?"

17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree car rental loyalty is overrated. I wouldn't pay for it out of pocket as even the best isn't that much better than the worst. Economy car doesn't not compare to bad coach middle seat in back row by lavs :D

Avis for me is all about eliminating hassles. Discount car rental counter people are right up there with TSA for me in many cases.

Never mucking around with pickup games or faux damage shenanigans that I've run into with various enterprise/Alamo/dollar/thrifty locations is great. Avis, national, and hertz have the best antisocial pickup experiences. I've literally brought back cars with light damage and never had a peep from Avis for example.

Also my Avis corp rate gives fuel service and refills at near street prices - no $13.99 min fee nor full tank prepurchase required. Never having to fill up or worry about usurious fuel charges is wonderful. Plus I get a fair amount of terminal drops from the duty manager.

Avis presidents club (earned at ~60 rentals last year) upgrades are now certainly diluted at Select and Go locations, but that feature also makes Avis a good National competitor.

Hertz delivers less for me, but it's network and locations can come in handy.

redtailshark likes this.
  18. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will check out Sixt, never tried them

19. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, often the worst! You must be ready to engage in direct refusal of the hardsell upsell and be alert to any and all shenanigans even at 11pm at SFO after 13 hours flying... quite the test.

20. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just my 2 cents: I've been Hertz President's Circle for a few years, and aside form one specific location, it's been great. I usually took the Delta SkyMiles instead of the Gold points, but this year, and I've rented weekly, since May, I've have accumulated well over 12,000 points. They had 2 months of double points and one month of triple points. Since I retain my Delta status/miles accrual from flying alone, I saw no harm in accumulating points. Since they don't expire for 2 years, I have plenty of free vacation rentals coming up.