Three Days in Nantucket…Three Hours on the Tarmac

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Bonnie, Jul 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was going to be a nice little getaway to Nantucket. We were in Boston on business so a quick trip to Nantucket made sense. We dropped the rental car at Logan and did a JetBlue to Nantucket. Way easier than the drive to the Ferry and a four hour crossing. Actually, there are, in season faster boats, but this made sense and the flight was on time and we were in Nantucket as scheduled.

We stayed at the Nantucket Hotel and Resort. Charming (I think that’s the operative word in Nantucket!) hotel with wonderful service, outstanding location and our junior suite was excellent. Comfortable, island style furnishings that were lovely and immaculate. The sitting area was attractive and the bath featured a pretty and large walk in shower. Breakfast options included complimentary coffee in the lobby and very nice breakfast menu choices at the hotel restaurant.

The Island restaurant options are endless. We ate one night at Lola 41. Outstanding casual fun restaurant with waitstaff that was adorable. Desert included the obligatory stop at the Juice Bar for outrageous ice cream! We also ate at Cru for lunch. Great wharf location and very good seafood/island menu. Our last evening was at The Pearl for dinner. It was absolutely delicious and gorgeous. Next trip we have to try the Company of the Cauldron. We heard their lobster night menu is to die for!

Our return flight home, we thought would be easy. But, we had a United puddle jumper to Newark that couldn't jump! Fog. So we were delayed an hour and a half at ACK which set in motion a whole mess. We missed our connecting flight to FLL but we were put on the next available flight. So much for the extra leg room I thought would make it all doable. Instead we got a refund, row 31 and a two hour delay before we could even board.

So....we finally board, taxi out and then do the waiting routine. After 30 minutes we're told we have 'weather issues'. Then a passenger became seriously angry and said really nasty things to the flight attendant so we had to taxi back to the gate to off load the passenger and the FA.....cops waiting on the tarmac and goodness knows what else while we sat in a WARM airplane. Then we're told about the 3 hour rule which we have approached and the pilot said we could get off the plane but he thought we'd take off any minute now.....blah blah blah. Bottom line is that we originally were supposed to arrive in FLL at 3:30 and instead arrived at 9:45. Hey, we got home the same night….so….I’m happy. And Nantucket was a fun getaway. Only problem was that getting back wasn’t as much fun!

MissBurrill, violist, 8MiHi and 3 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us on MP. Interesting reading, sorry to hear about your "getting home adventure", I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's fun to collect airline adventures. Someday I may write up my adventure of three take-offs and two landings at LAX...

uggboy likes this.
  4. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airlines can definitely be an 'adventure'! The tarmac sitting can be annoying....but in the scheme of things, obviously so minor! Interestingly, our recent trip to Bali involved a total of 9 flights....and every one was on time!

8MiHi likes this.