Three Approaches To Mistake Fares, And Why They’re All Valid

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Mar 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I have a confession to make -- my favorite part of mistakes fare is the adventure of it all, and not the actual fare. A couple of nights ago American published a ~$450 roundtrip business class fare between Washington and Beijing. Most people probably surmised it was a mistake. But the DOT does have a prohibition on post-purchase price increases, which on the surface seems to protect consumers even in the case of mistake fares. Is the spirit of the DOT regulation to "protect" consumers in the case of "obvious" mistake fares? Of course not. But in practice it seems to, at least as of now. Why? Because when you create laws, you have to draw a line somewhere, and that line can sometimes be very pro-consumer. So what I enjoy the most about these mistake fares is the dialogue that comes out of them. And I think this fare has been an especially interesting one, because it was about as straightforward as we've ever seen. You went directly to the airline's website, and the fare displayed. There was no "trickery" involved. The post Three Approaches To Mistake Fares, And Why They’re All Valid appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...