Thousands of Citi Customers at Risk After Hacker Attack

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Horse, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citigroup Inc said computer hackers breached the bank's network and accessed the data of about 200,000 bank card holders in North America, the latest of a string of cyber attacks on high-profile companies.

However, Citi said other information such as birth dates, social security numbers, card expiration dates and card security codes (CVV) were not compromised.Citi said the names of customers, account numbers and contact information, including email addresses, were viewed in the breach, which the Financial Times (newspaper operates behind a paywall) said was discovered by the bank in early May.

Read rest of story

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I am one of the "lucky winners": I received a new AA MC in the mail yesterday, with a letter referring to that data breach.

That's now the second time in three or so years that Citi had to replace my card due to a data breach. The first time allegedly at a merchant, but they refused to reveal who, so I canceled the card .... and re-applied a year later for another bonus as "compensation". So this time Citi was the "guilty" party not securing the data properly. Fortunately I had moved all my automatic charges away from Citi after the first data breach, so this time there is no effort involved other than shredding the old card... and probably keeping an eye on my credit files.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a huge volume of data being hacked now, as the news reports are showing. This problem will be getting worse, I sadly believe. EMV adoption could help, but so long as mag stripes remain acceptable hacking will continue to be a major problem. Even with EMV online transactions will still be at risk. Unhappy developments, and Citi is just one victim. I do not think they are more culpable than anyone else. OTRE the larger the installed card base the higher the attractiveness to scammers. That applies to merchants as well as banks.

4. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they offer any compensation? --I would ask and almost demand them to compensate --start low with minimum of 25,000 miles for the stress and worry and not let them get away "free"-- if can not get from ordinary rep .i would elevate it to "presidents office " with a follow up letter. If you feel you deserve more ask and also send c.c. to b.b.b. and other g.o.'s--good luck

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No compensation offered. Not even a year of free credit monitoring.

6. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    do not give up!!! , if u do not push they will not offer , do not accept the first no as final , make some noise and you will get some oil --ask to speak to the president if a supervisor turns you down --explain why ( sleepless nights , worry ,stress all caused by them) you deserve what you are asking for