Thougts on upcoming NYC stay?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by echohorn, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. echohorn
    Original Member

echohorn Active Member

Status Points:
    Upcoming stay in NYC.

Either 2 nights at Staybridge suites (new hotel, high TA rating) on points (40K), OR 2 nights at InterCon Times Sq. (1 nights at GOV rate $192, and 1 night on Sweet Dilemma).

I have Plat/Amb.

Thoughts? Opinions? Which would you choose?

Thanks! :)

2. echohorn
    Original Member

echohorn Active Member

Status Points:
    oops... "Thoughts"....

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have Ambassador status. Go to the IC. End of conversation. Well, at least for me. [​IMG]

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  4. CIPAS
    Original Member

CIPAS Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed both Staybridge TS and IC TS on Dec. 2010
    Both very nice hotels (within their cat.)

It's hard to compare between two since it's totally different cat.
    But what I can say is.. stay either one but not other.

IC TS is prefer just because you have AMB status and higher-end/quality hotel.
    But Staybridge is very nice compare to other similar cat. hotels near TS area.
    and much much clean-er than others.

Have money? stay at IC TS.
    Short on cash? stay at Staybridge TS. Don't go for HIX TS nor Candlewood Suites TS or any other old properties.

5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The IC TS is a wonderful property, and quite spacious for NYC. It is far enough off Times Square where you can actually have a peaceful night. When I stayed there last weekend, I did not hear any street noise. The one thing I will say is they are a little stingy on the fruit and water amenity (but then I was spoiled by IC Toronto Centre)

6. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    The IC is very, very nice. That said, I did 3 nights there in September without eating or drinking or indeed doing anything at the property except go to my room. Very nice room, though! And spacious.

I'd put it down to cash. If the $192 is not a stretch, take the IC because its a really nice place to stay. If not, I'm sure the Staybridge will be fine. If you are planning on staying out late then perhaps also Staybridge - its not as if the IC has a pool or any other great amenity, apart from being 'nice'.

7. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just completed a stay at the IC Times Square last month, and also I stayed at the Staybridge Candlewood Suites a few times just after it opened. They are both very well located (only a few blocks apart and from TS) and both still very new. I have to say that I like them both!

The Staybridge Candlewood Suites is a great value for the points, IMHO. It's not fancy, but it's new and has all the extras that come with suite hotels (microwave, etc). The IC is, of course, at a different standard. As a Ambassador, I was upgraded to a corner deluxe room. It wasn't a big room (after all, this is NYC), but it was brand new and very well appointed.

I would go for the IC if the price is reasonable (and under $200 is good for this star level in NYC); otherwise, I'd certainly be willing to pay points for the Staybridge Candlewood Suites.

EDIT: I went looking for the room pics I took and realized that I had stayed at the Candlewood Suites (one block over, I think), not the Staybridge Suites! For under $200, though, I'd still go for the IC!

8. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was planning on staying at the Indigo in Chelsea in March. How does it compare?

9. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing to consider is this Staybridge doesn't have much to upgrade you into even though you are Plat. As far as I know, pretty much all the rooms are the same.

If you are looking for experience and higher scale comfort, go to IC. On the other hand, if you intend to be frugal with lodging so that you can save money for other NYC activities, Staybridge is adequate in terms of walking distance from the subway stations and times square, the microwave in the room, the free breakfast (again, nothing fancy but good enough) and evening receptions (Tu, We, Th), and the rooms themselves – not big or fancy at all but good enough as a crashing pad.

Hate the road in front of the Staybridge though – totally messed up and this time of the year, expect a lot of puddles and slush…

Now a little bit of color commentary: overall speaking myself has got tired of midtown west as it has too much of a touristy feel to it – if you want to catch Broadway shows and other events going on in the area, it’s great; otherwise upper east side would offer a much more rich (and expensive and sometimes snobbish) NYC experience imho.