Thoughts on where to credit Iceland Air flights?

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by Oiuyt, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming RT BOS-KEF. Any thoughts of the best place to credit the miles?

I don't have an Alaska Air account. Is it worth creating one and stranding the miles there, rather than in Iceland Air's program? Other options worth considering?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you live in Iceland or fly them a lot for some strange reason, I would assume that Iceland Air stray miles stay stranded, with no realistic chance of benefits. Alaska would be a good choice, especially if your have some other potentially stray miles that you can credit to them.

What are your other choices and your typical travel patterns.

3. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is said that Iceland air and Eurobonus will sign an agreement again this year, it is however doubtful this agreement will include trans-atl flights - as the old agreement didn't before it was discontinued back in '06.
    shhh-1.jpg
    And it's also doubtful you'll be able to retro-credit miles to EB if you're flight was prior to their signing of the agreement with Iceland Air. So If you won't be flying Iceland Air again AFAYK, Alaska Air just might be your best option in the airline department.

But besides airlines, this looks like a fair option (although I can't vouch for it as I haven't tried it myself):

4. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live just outside of PHL. Most of my travel gets credited to US.

A fair balance in AA, largely due to credit card bonuses and a bit of flying. Enough DL that they have potential to be useful, but I rarely end up flying SkyTeam, so they pretty much just sit there. BA has a decent balance thanks to Chase. A few orphaned miles on CO from before I knew anything.

First time to Iceland and first time on Iceland Air. While it's possible there will be more, I wouldn't expect it.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then I wouldn't credit to Icelandic. Why not start crediting otherwise stray miles, like DL, to Alaska too, which seems to be a good program in this situation.

BTW, you can use DL miles for hotel stays, gift cards (although at bad rates if not DL elite with DL AmEx card), magazines. Sometimes the hotel nights can be relatively good deals.

6. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just transfered my Icelandair miles to US Airways Dividend Miles on www.points.com... Miles were transfered within seconds.

I had 13.575 Icelandair miles (from several trips)
    I got 8.050 Dividend Miles

Pretty good deal concidering those miles would otherwise be useless for me. It was also nice to top up my DM-account after the 75% bonus offer they just had.

I also transfered some (for me) worthless Asia Miles to my DM-account... The exchangerates probably sucks, but what else would you do with those miles?

milchap likes this.
  7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts change on this recently? I just booked BOS-KEF for May.

8. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have an update on best options for crediting Iceland Air points?