Thoughts on when to book ATL-FCO over Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

My best friend is looking to fly to FCO to meet me over Thanksgiving weekend - leaving ATL on 11/24 and returning on 11/28. Right now fares are running around $1190.

Any thoughts on timing of booking fares? I am not familiar with this route (use BA/AZ/AF/KL from LON) and figured I solicit the opinion of others concerning the fare - if it's generally a good fare, I'll tell her to book it now.

Thanks!
    :)robin

2. Trastevere

Trastevere Active Member

Status Points:
    Sign up for fare alerts...now would be the best time to start looking at fares and potentially lock in. Delta partners with Alitalia via Skyteam so look on Alitalia's website. Sometimes it will be cheaper and they may not take into consideration the holiday upcharge that U.S. carriers are charging since it's a holiday. If you know Italian and put your place of residency down as Italy you may be able to save money as well, as prices vary sometimes when offered to local residents. Keep in mind that may be billed in euros and you could incur a currency charge.

1800 Fly Europe runs some great specials so keep an eye on them. Went last year at this time of year for $750 direct roundtrip, but I wouldn't count on that kind of price drop as you're looking at a holiday weekend. If she's willing to transfer through LHR she might save some $.

Sorry I couldn't help further. My advice, if you see it drop below $1000, jump on it!

dgreen12 and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

If FF miles are an issue, be careful about booking through the AZ website or with an AZ flight number (metal or codeshare) without first verifying that the fare class does earn full credit on DL.

I'd also be cautious about taking a special fare, such as one for Italian residents, that you do not qualify for. The worst case could be a refusal to fly you or being charged the full walkup fare if they notice that there's no residence visa in the passport.

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    U, Z, E, F are now the only excluded AZ fare classes (all others earn 100%). As best as I can tell, those are all award ticket classes (EF doesn't show availability for them when doing a revenue search), so this is less of a worry now with the "leading" ST members (AF/KL/AZ).

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is she'll use our (less than) favorite website, delta.com unless a crazy deal appears somewhere else. She'll want the Skypesos out of it....to use at some point. And, ironically, with previous trips and planned trips, she'll be at about 22.5k MQMs for the year...I told her going for FO may be worth it in order to get exit rows and such.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good advice, coach.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminder that she gets no rollover if she doesn't hit 25K by the end of the year, so she would have to start from zero in trying to get elite status. Also, if she checks bags, she could save a lot of money.

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just spent the last 20 minutes explaining why she SHOULD take that extra trip to Vermont next month! :) She's an ATL hub captive...so flying on DL (revenue or my miles) is never a problem!

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then she's crazy not to get FO if she can. She'd get special check in lines and maybe security lines too, although ATL isn't good at enforcing them.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - so long as she makes the Rome trip, I'm sure she'll do a mileage run if needed. With my living in the UK (and limited to 35 days/year in the US in order to not pay federal taxes), she knows she has to head this way to see me. :D

Who knew the girl who claimed to hate flying (at one point) would now be contemplating Medallion status and mileage runs??? lol :cool:

MSPeconomist likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you're training her well.

12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today, when I asked her to look at her current MQMs (to sort out status prospects), she asked me what her 26k Million Miler miles were...;)...then about how many I had (570k)...lol...certainly an amusing moment.

13. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also check JFK - FCO as DL codeshares on AZ non-stop from there.