Thoughts on upgrading from AMEX Delta Gold card to Delta Platinum or Reserve

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lootcorp, Nov 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lootcorp

lootcorp Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Last year, I signed up for the AMEX Delta Gold card... I was trying to avoid annual fees and wanted the bonus RDMs. Didn't really have a use for MQMs since I don't fly enough to qualify for elite.

Next year I plan to increase my traveling and could hit FO with the extra MQMs offered by the Reserve card. However, there's no way for me to upgrade and get the intro 10,000 MQM bonus without canceling the Gold card for at least a year, correct?

I could always apply for the Reserve Business card for my small biz...still trying to determine if the $450 annual fee is worth it, but wanted to get some opinions about what the more experienced travelers would do...I know FO is not a great goal to shoot for, but with 10K MQM intro + 30K if I hit the $60K spend, I would only need 10K flight miles to hit GM which I could do next year.

Any thoughts?

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the Platinum or Reserve card bonus terms prevent you from applying if you hold the different Gold card?

I doubt it. I've successfully applied for the Amex Hilton Surpass card well holding the basic card, then later I received an email to upgrade the basic for points, and did that and ended up with two Surpass cards and received sign up points on all of them.

I would expect that its in Amex's interest to give you either both the cards or allow you to get the second card, and then cancel the first if you so choose.

3. lootcorp

lootcorp Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. The terms state:

"If you are identified as a current American Express® Card Member, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card account within the last 90 days."

So it's a little vague. I am a current AMEX holder, so "may not" be eligible (although I've always gotten sign on bonuses for AMEX cards and I've been a cardholder for years). Also, what is "this product" -- specifically the Reserve card, or any of the AMEX Delta cards?

I suppose I'm being lazy and a call to AMEX customer service would clear this up quickly...although if anyone here has done an upgrade like this I'd love to hear their experiences.

EDIT: actually, looks like I'm out of luck, further down in the terms it states:

"Offer not available to existing Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members upgrading to another Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time."

iolaire likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the terms are rather strict... My last Amex expectance was early this year so I don't think I can help more.

5. jacobsta811

jacobsta811 New Member

Status Points:
    If you pay attention to Slickdeals type threads you get what Amex is talking about with each of these. The gist of it is that you have to cancel and can apply for the new, different card in 90 days and it will almost certainly work.

The terms:
    "If you are identified as a current American Express® Card Member, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer."
    Means apply in an incognito/private window in Firefox or chrome. *Don't* apply from the same browser you login to your accounts on the web with. People who have hit this condition reported a message right after they applied, instead of the normal approved/pending/denied message.

"This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months"
    Means this *exact* card must be closed for at least 12 months.
    "or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card account within the last 90 days"
    Means *any* Delta Amex must be closed for 90 days.

6. lootcorp

lootcorp Member

Status Points:
    jacobsta811, that's really useful info!! Thanks

7. michaellcoates

michaellcoates Active Member

Status Points:

I just upgraded my Gold to Reserve and received 10K MQMs and 10K Miles. You have to call them and have them process an upgrade. Initially I just signed up for the reserve card and the MQMs never went through. Called them and they processed the upgrade, the MQMs were on the account in 10 days.

8. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. You can usually get an upgrade bonus. I went from Delta Gold to Platinum years ago and got a bonus for that. Then some years later, I went from Platinum to Reserve and got the same bonus as above.

David

9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can probably get a smaller upgrade bonus for going from Gold to Platinum or Reserve (i.e. the difference between the gold bonus and the platinum or reserve bonus) but Rene over at the Deltapoints.com blog is pretty adamant you need to have canceled the card for at least a year to be eligible for a new bonus.

A small business card, however, would be a whole new card with it's own signup bonuses. But signup bonuses aside, heck, in theory you can have both a personal and a small business DL reserve and get 60K MQMs a year for $120K total spend. That DL gold level without ever flying DL. (Of course, why you'd bother to do this if you have no intention of flying DL is beyond me!)

10. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my Delta Platinum back in September speculating that Amex might throw some MQDs along with MQMs into future CC offers. I'm most likely accruing to Alaska in 2014, but wanted at least a 90 day gap before the beginning of 2014 in case Amex throws something our way. There is the 25K exemption but gift card/vanilla reload use does not count if Amex ever decides to enforce its T&Cs. You probably have sufficient spend from your business that you are not impacted by MQDs, but there is also the opportunity cost of getting SkyMiles instead of other more useful currency for credit card spend.

11. matt5784

matt5784 New Member

Status Points:
    There is a way to actually upgrade straight through the website, although I haven't quite figured it out yet... when visiting this page, sometimes it has buttons which say "Apply Now" with the same terms you've listed, but other times it says "Upgrade Now" and gives terms with different upgrade bonuses depending on which Skymiles Amex you currently have (and yes, it's the difference between what you should have received when you signed up and what is offered, except for the Gold it still seems to include RDMs despite the Gold card coming with many more RDMs than the Reserve offers).

Here are the full terms for the upgrade (sorry, it's long):
    Also, here's a generic link to an upgrade application: https://www304.americanexpress.com/...rade/passive/delta-reserve-credit-card/36204/

Note that (apparently this is due to some new laws) you must have had the account for at least 12 months (or, in some cases, 11 months depending on when your statement will post) before you can upgrade. If your next statement will post at least 12 months from your opening date they should let you upgrade, as that is technically when the new annual fee will be charged, and they are not allowed to change the fee in the first year.

If you haven't held your current skymiles credit card for at least a year, your only option is to sign up for the Business Delta Reserve card.