Thoughts on R space availability?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by southender, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my quest to maximize every single credit, I have been tracking R space on the coveted TPAC and SA routes. On these routes, client is happy to pay for Lat fares so I pay significant attention to R space as Lat $$ to go onto the waitlist is a non-starter in my book. Is it just me, or has/is R space tightened/ing up significantly on advance (1-4 month) bookings? I use EF and alerts and so far have enough flexibility to make it work, but I don't remember it being this hard last year...

Exit Row likes this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least late last month/early this month there was decent R space availability on YYZ-NRT. Don't know what route and dates you're looking for, but are you saying the flights are all showing R0? With a Latitude fare, all you need is R1 (assuming you're flying alone).

3. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    SCL week of Apr 5 R0 -some of that is full J cabin so understandable; SYD end of week of Apr 7 R0 ; recognize weekends have always been more difficult but R0 (instead of at least R1 or 2) seemed weird so thought I would put a message out. As I said, I only book when R=1+ so have just had to be more patient and wait for the EF alerts to do their job... which they have done for me at least.

4. Not Your Average Moron
    Original Member

Not Your Average Moron Silver Member

Status Points:
    R space is definitely much tighter this year on many routes.

NC space on the other hand...

5. Asian flights particularly those to/from China are fast becoming oversold in full paid J on a regular basis. AC has built this business by previously offering cheaper J fares ex US places they fly from and have built a solid reputaion for their J service as opposed to their US counterpoints.

I have a heard, from a reliable concierge, that they are seriously considering putting more J pods, possibly two more rows, on the 777 fleet in particular and possibly the 333,s. part of that is because AC does not want to shut out top tier members from upgrade availability as that defeats their purpose with running the tier program. The fact they are selling so many full price/corporate discount J seats particularly to Asia and FRA/LHR in Europe is a testament to the product delivered and hopefully a return to steady profitability.
    If one reads newspapers you would have noted the numbers of wealthy Chinese coming to YVR and YYZ and buying real estate due to the bubble in their own markets. These people buy full J and also some are connecting through the major airports on their way to the US as well

For anyone going on to other parts of Asia like BKK/SIN etc NRT remans a good cnx for upgrades. The only issue there is the longer flights (7 hours from NRT vs 3 from HKG) on other airlines usually in the back if one is flying on a non J fare.

6. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    More pods so SEs can possibly upgrade? Not my cup o tea,but good for AC if they can fill with J paying passengers.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SE and E -- either one can use the eUpgrade credits for the same seats. Although SEs do have priority ...

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hardly makes economic sense to eliminate the mini-Y cabin of at least 27 seats to replace with 8 more pods if these will be occupied by upgraders who are paying the same fare as each of those eliminated 19 customers (27-8)! That's a loss of $9.5K per flight (economy pretty much always sells out), and even if upgraders all bought Latitude, there'd still be a loss. Having flown transPac four times this year, never had a problem upgrading to China (non-HKG) ex-YYZ and there have been open seats in J, or lots of at-the-gate upgrades (save for the two peak days of Friday going west and Sunday going east). I've seen no evidence that AC is selling out full or even discounted J. In fact, premium fares ex-China (mainland) are half what they are ex-Canada so AC can compete with mainland carriers.

It is true AC is holding back upgrades on eastbound flights until the day before, but most of the waitlists clear.