Thoughts on LM Kuala Lumpur/Four Points SFO/Four Points BOS

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by DestinationDavid, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Checked the FAQ and didn't see a listing for any of these properties in the Master List. I'm new to Starwood and have very little experience with this family of hotels (only the Four Points LAX, Westin in Atlanta, and the Westin ORD previously). Curious if any other MPers have experiences with these properties and can give me thoughts on:
    • Quality of the property
    • Gold status treatment
    • Ease of accessing public transportation
    I'll be doing layovers at both Four Points properties arriving in the AM and catching international flights in the afternoon the next day, so want to explore SFO and BOS. LM KUL will be a longer stay of a few days while touring KL.
    Thanks in advance! :)

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    LM Kuala Lumpur is wonderful, great plat treatment (upgrades, one of the BEST breakfast buffets in their restaurant and it is free to plat if you prefer to lounge, lounge is very nice and the only one I've been in that allows comp beer and wine all day!) easy access to a variety of public transport (including cheap taxi's)
    Four Points SFO is north of the airport and to access public transport you would have to go back to the ap - I haven't been there for a while but when I was the shuttle was very infrequent (like once an hour), then you'd have to connect to BART or..... If you want to explore SFO I don't think it's a good choice. I don't remember any special plat treatment - but as I said last stay was quite a while ago

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not a Plat yet but would be nice to have a free breakfast. Someday! :D

Thanks for the information on Four Points SFO. Trying to decide if I should switch to another hotel or just stick with it. The price is fairly decent but not sure if its worth spending a whole day in a hotel room, especially if it's a Four Points hotel room.

4. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 4points BOS is okay. Nothing special. It's clean and the rooms are good sized. They have a shuttle to/from the airport and it will also take you to the train station. The hotel is older(I stayed in early 2011) and could use some refreshing. It's fine for an overnight. Public transport in Boston is great, so you'll be able to get into the city and sight-see easily. Don't judge SPG on this property alone. It's one of the less exciting 4points I've stayed in.

Typically, in BOS I prefer the Sheraton Boston or the Westin Copley Place. More expensive than 4points, but you can find good deals sometimes at the Sheraton Boston.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    To add to the LM KL. Itb is located in the complex adjacent to the train to KUL. There are a few not excellent Indian restaurants in the area, but otherwise it is totally commercial. BTW, every comment about the Meridien also applies to the KL Hilton, which is identical to the Meridien in location and construction (the buildings are twins). Both of these are substantially cheaper than are other KL hotels that are better located. Although there is good transportation, including cheap taxis, the location is about 15 minutes by taxi from the KL activity centered around Jalan Bukit Bintang and the Pavilion Shopping Center.

If access to KL life matters (it does to me) and you want SPG, the Westin KL is right there. The Westin has very nice breakfasts, almost always gives upgrades, but the rooms are SMALL! Located in the same place are the JW Marriott KL and the Ritz-Carlton, just behind.

The KL Sheraton is closer than the Meridien, but in the opposite direction and has precisely zero around it other than an easy monorail connection. The KL Monorail is interesting, but has a very colourful and troubled history.

Since you'll be in KL a few days, were it me I'd opt for the Westin if I wanted SPG.

if you want more KL details, converse with me. I spent most of last fall there.

Putra and DestinationDavid like this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting off topic since neither is Starwood, but I had two positively wonderful -- and amazingly inexpensive -- hotel experiences in KL. One was at the 'JW' named by 'JB' above, and the other, the night before departure at the Pan Pacific at the airport. The latter was by far the ritziest airport hotel I've ever stayed in, and depending on the time of your flight out, might be worth considering for your final night. 'Pan Pacific Privileges' may not do one much good over here, but at least now Pan Pacific ties in with GHA and Omni. The former, as JB says, is right there amidst "KL life" (although some of that life involved questionable approaches on the sidewalk), but at mid-level Marriott status (if I recall) involved an upgrade to a totally fabulous and opulent room and breakfast at a wonderful hotel -- with my total price well, well under USD 100 at the time. Sorry, can't help you with Starwood/Meridien, so somebody else can bring this back on topic. . . .

P.S. - To call the monorail's history "colourful and troubled," while accurate, may really be charitable.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recall that i said no positive words about it, but there is one good feature: You'll not be needing the excellent fitness facilities at the hotels if you take the monorail because you'll climb endless narrow stairs and both ends.
    If you really want to know more about this abysmal failure the wiki is a decent summary, although it is quite kind about it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KL_Monorail

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip on the Westin. I'll be coming into KL after a few days in Laos, so I doubt I'll be up for the trek staying at LM would require for sightseeing in KL. I might revise my plans to include the Westin instead. The overall price difference isn't that great.

I'll send you a PM about KL activities/advice. Thanks JB!

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you recall how frequent that shuttle to the train was? Or is it best to take the shuttle to BOS and then take transport from there?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember. Sorry!

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Putra

Putra Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am Malaysian and always do weekend stay for requalify. I would rate The Westin 1st, Sheraton and LM in 3rd. The best room goes for sheraton, the best location goes for Westin and for business trip, LM are the winner because of KL Sentral which is a hub of transportation to KLIA. As the breakfast, LM and Westin shares the same quality which is outstanding although I love Westin more. Prego in Westin are amongst the best for Italian. Westin are located in golden triangle which are great for leisure and sightseeing tourist.

P/s : westin has new lounge on 3rd floor which is just open on 1st May, larger spacious and better than LM. But LM lounge has outstanding view.

12. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Lm is nice by while others think the location at at KL Sentral is a plus i find it a negative. Threre is really nothing in the are within walking distance and there ia also a lot of construction on. It is still a very nice hotel. As a gold, I got a one cat upgrade but cant remember to what room type.

The Sheraton Imperial is great value on points and gold normally gets upgrade to towers view. It is also a has much more life around it.