Thoughts on Khao Lak tailors

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by UADomer08, Nov 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone. We made it to Khao Lak and I must say the weather is stunning. We were thinking of getting some clothes while we were over here (at a minimum I need a new tux) and I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts/experience with the tailors in the area. Or, is it worth getting things tailored at all? We will also be in Phuket for a couple days but will be staying at the renaissance a bit outside Phuket town.

Thoughts and recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

Davidsen09 and Kalboz like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a good experience with Monty the Tailor in 2007. I sent friends there who had a good experience in 2009. But they returned in 2011 and quality was less than on previous visit and price had gone up.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up going to Monty due to this and others' recommendations. The amazing product and the even more amazing man made this trip well worth it. I cannot comment on price comparison as we did not shop around too much. Monty's prices seemed extremely fair and the quality of his work was evident in the numerous finished garments he had hanging in the shop. We spent some quality time with Monty and even were given the generous opportunity to head to his workshop and meet his team. I can honestly say Monty was one of the best human beings I have had the opportunity to meet and the stories he shared with us were touching.

In the end I ended up with some beautiful clothes at a great price as well as an amazing story (which I hope to type up and share on MP eventually). I would recommend anyone looking for a tailor in the Khao Lak area to at least stop by Monty's. You should definitely shop around a bit and find the place with the price and materials that best fit your needs but certainly make Monty's one of your stops.

Kalboz and gleff like this.