Thoughts on flying tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nonstopski, Mar 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in Columbia, Missouri. Was Supposed to fly out tonight out of Columbia Regional but canceled due to weather. I could get a trip to St Louis and fly out tomorrow at 4:30 , but my final destination is DCA, and the weather forecasts aren't looking promising there tomorrow. In Columbia, I have free housing but the flights are very limited. Conflicted on what to do!

Newscience likes this.
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take advantage of rescheduling.

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! You don't want to be anywhere near DCA, IAD or BWI right now. The city of Washington, D.C. declared a "snow emergency" yesterday (before it started snowing!), and the federal government is also closed. I suspect that it will take at least until mid-day on Tuesday, March 4, for things to begin to start operating reasonably well in the DC Metro area again.

gregm likes this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or, since your flight was cancelled, take the refund and stay home?

gregm likes this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with Seacarl here as the airlines are generally somewhat flexible in rebooking you.

gregm likes this.
  6. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ended up waiting till yesterday afternoon to call again and got a flight out of KC at 4:30 PM today. I'm thinking DC should be pretty clear by then.

Are there any sites, blogs, or journalists that predict this stuff/report on it when we have major delays like this? I basically just used flightstats yesterday to figure out what actually made sense to schedule (that wouldn't just be canceled later). By 8 AM yesterday every flight direct to DC through 5 PM was basically canceled, so I was happy I didn't take AA's offer for the 4:30 from SLC to DFW to DCA yesterday. Would have been stuck in Dallas right now.

DC IS home btw, so staying in Columbia meant staying with friends! Made the best of it.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    National Airport's website and twitter points are fairly updated. On the 13th I watched both and they had relevant information, and yesterday they tweeted once the runway was clear.