Thoughts on Dining Dough card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by ella, Dec 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received a $100 Dining Dough card as part of a gift. Had not heard of it before, so did some research. Seems to be not a great deal / borderline scam. I have to go to DD site, choose restaurant to order restaurant certficiate, and follow terms and conditions. Cert requires additional spend, and many dictate minimum # of diners.

Was this "gift" actually a lump of coal?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    if DD is anything like restaurant.com, you'll find there are some crappy deals/certs to get and some good ones. Hopefully you are in an area where there are a number of DD restaurants to chose from. Also, I've found that most certs through restaurant.com apply to alcohol which can really be a money saver.

Edited to add: I went to the DD website, seems to be set up identical to restaurant.com, so you should be able to find some restaurants that suit your tastes (again IF you are in an area where there are a good number of restaurants to chose from).

3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in Houston, so plenty of restaurants. When I'd find one that would seem to work, it would have day of week restrictions, or minimum diner restrictions - I can live with minimum of 2, but getting 4 of my friends to agree on a restaurant is usually a minor miracle!

I read in one place (can't remember where) that DD is part of restaurants.com - so what you say would seem to bear that out.

4. Gandydancer

Gandydancer New Member

Status Points:
    DD is just a portal to Restaurant.com. The $100 card can be used to buy, e.g., four $25 vouchers (which you can exchange for others, later) which will NOT have a minimum of more than 2 diners, often no minimum. Typical is a $37.50 minimum buy and mandatory 18% tip on the undiscounted bill (the restaurant sets these conditions). The $25 vouchers list for $10 but can be stocked up on for about $4 if you're on the email list when codes are sent out. Or somewhat cheaper than that on eBay. It's a good deal, in my experience.

bigx0 likes this.
  5. JenniferW

JenniferW New Member

Status Points:
    I wrote a really long post and realized no one would read it, so I'm cleaning it up! Here were my main points:
    1. Call ahead. Sometimes the restaurant is no longer honoring the voucher!
    2. There are programs, like Receipt Pal, where you can redeem a free dining dough credit. You do NOT have to use it all at once.
    3. Look ahead at the menu to determine how much each person would probably pay, according to tastes. For example, there's a nearby restaurant that offers great meals for $8.25 each, but their sodas are $2.25! My husband and daughter will want soda; I'll get water. So, with the $10 off deal, it will be like getting one meal free.
    If we bring the couple next door, then we can use the $25 credit. This would pay for both their meals, but the three of us will have to pay full price.

$10.25 x 3 plus tax and tip, about minus $10 = about $38.43 minus $10 = $29

$10.25 x 5 plus tax and tip, minus $25 = about $64 minus $25 = $39. About $10 more, to invest in a friendship!

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 21, 2016