Thoughts on a news update thread?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by SirRagnar, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you like the idea of a news thread in the SK forum?

1. Yes

61.5%
  2. No

7.7%
  3. I prefer each news to have it's own thread

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear SK community

On FT there was a period with a lot of postings of news about SK and the three Scandinavian hubs in separate threads and if you remember it was debated (hard) at some time whether that was a good idea or not.
    The news were from various sources and translated to english via google translate.
    Following the debate it was suggested that we made it into one thread where all news could be posted and debated.
    Allow me to bring up this debate again and propose a news update thread in this forum to help enlighten us all about small and big news from the Scandinavian aeronautic world. Contributions to the thread would be from anyone that spotted a relevant piece of news. Alternatively, each news could also be posted as a separate thread for each news. That might kill the smaller news posting, but would allow for better debate of each news.

I've added a poll to give an overview on how many thinks it's a good idea and many thinks it's a bad idea - and also to test out the poll-feature while we're in beta :)

torbster likes this.
  2. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know. A mega thread with news could be quite difficult to handle after a while. It could also be difficult to know whether a news item deserves an own thread or of it should go into the mega thread. Clearly some topics would deserve their own threads. Others would fit into a mega thread well though.

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's the tricky part to evaluate which news is relevant enough for each own thread and which is only relevant enough for a mega thread.
    Some news will be very relevant for many while other news while only be very relevant for a few.

That's why I am in favor of the mega thread and then perhaps spin-offs from the thread could be made if a discussion should arise from the news.

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the SK-forum won't be the biggest, so maybe "mega-threads" might work fine here..
    Maybe have one thread for news concerning time-limited offers like point-bargains, and another for other news?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  5. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then there would have to be a separate thread for each of the three countries. There are different bargains/point-bargains/offers to each country.....
    It may (or may not) get confusing when discussions will arise in relevance to the different offers. Hope that it won't......
    For other news, there could also be in reference to each country.....

I don't know, but maybe this is too far fetched......???

6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there are not that many news that it would be necessary with one for each country, I think. At least not when it was posted at FT. It was perhaps 3-4 per week in total covering SK, CPH, ARN and OSL news.

It could also be narrowed down to SK news only.

And btw, I am not talking about news like bargains, promotions and the likes. I am talking about news like this:

http://epn.dk/brancher/transport/luft/article2331504.ece

Translated:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://epn.dk/brancher/transport/luft/article2331504.ece

I know this is not the most interesting example, but it is news from the media like this I refer to.

Bargains, promotions and the likes in general deserve their own threads imho.

7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm in favor on adding a promo thread, but I think the forum would be pretty empty if we put all news in one thread

8. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah for sure it would be practical to have ONE thread to go to for promos, instead of having lots scattered around.. I also find promos usually show up at forums like this several days before ie. SAS emails it to me (and by then, if the promo is good, most tickets are gone :p)

Other news tend to induce discussions and trying to cram them all into one thread might just lead to chaos :D

cockpitvisit and cvarming like this.
  9. GVA380
    Original Member

GVA380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I’m in favor of a (single) news thread and country specific promo threads (I believe the later the later would make it easier to find relevant promos)

10. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was following the SK forum at the time of the news overflow, and it was not pretty. Every other thread was a google translated news article, with no editing. I think that kind of posts are garbage. The reporters don't try to serve a community like ours, and all to often it ends up being 99% noise. If you want to read the news then >>go and read the news<<.

Promotions on the other hand. That is useful. I have noticed that lot of hotel forums have a sticky with the current promotions. These have been very useful to me, so I think you have have a sticky thread.

philcape likes this.
  11. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find that having all the news in the same threads will make them harder to find. And for the discussion to stay somewhat on-topic (as opposed to mixed between different news) keeping the threads separate is a better idea.

tommy777 likes this.
  12. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I would like to see grouped in one thread is SAS corporate business news, on earnings/losses, cabin factors, "who is buying who" etc... These things pop up regularly and always trigger the same kind of discussions.

torbster likes this.