Suggestion This Traxo thing is confusing as hell.

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by eponymous_coward, Oct 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps a little education of your membership about the new bells and whistles is in order. Once I realized that email with "Your InsideFlyer Travel Manager Account Awaits" meant something I was good, but MAN, is the new UI and experience very, very disjointed, and full of "What is this thing going to do? No, that wasn't what I thought it would do..." experiences.

Jimgotkp, sobore, mtlfire and 6 others like this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, not knowing beforehand what InsideFlyer was, I tossed the e-mail (unread) into my spambox. Very fortunately, I did not reboot my computer in the past couple of hours, so was able to find the message again.

An oft-repeated and intentionally-trenchant warning: if you're not paying for the product or service in question, you **are** the product. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Have an excellent morning,

/mevlannen

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time to explore!

alfagirl likes this.
  4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto.
    I am all for 'upgrading', but it seems the upgrade was to the site, not the user. I am now bombarded with ads, kind of like when I go to a web search engine...

sobore, eponymous_coward and ACMM like this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought Gold Membership meant no ads. Of course, that was on Milepoint, not InsideFlyer... ;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's typical that web and software designers are so deep into what they are making that they think everything is obvious. As a result, they strip out all the basic explanatory info that actually tells people what it is, why it is, and why we should use it.

Since the traxo insideflyer and insideflyer.com aren't even linked, it really is confusing.

sobore, Dublin_rfk and alfagirl like this.
  7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    All the privileges and benefits do carry over and Gold will return to an ad free environment. One of a handful items we are correcting over the next few days. It's a small line of code in our style sheets that needs editing since ad locations and naming changed in the new styling. Apologies all around. But be assured, you will not lose anything—other than your shirt when betting on Red at the Roulette table.

sobore, Dublin_rfk, kwai and 6 others like this.
  8. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I seemed to have been side tracked as well. I received an email to join with a similiar username than what I have on MP. I guess that Twitter had some leads generated (I assume) and my handle had a @. In any event I signed up for that and was confused for a bit. I just signed in to Insideflyer and all my previous posts and identity propagated perfectly. Now, what I should do about the new account I just established with the same email address is for another day. Good luck with the new site Randy, I like what I see so far. Very nice. Perhaps UA IT can learn a little from you? Oscar Munoz may be seeking (get your CV in front of him) Thanks and Safe Travels

9. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, it's not that we want to bet on red, but how about betting on the return of Kiva Insideflyer polo shirts in the Award store? :)

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So the site will get faster and easier to read and navigate for golds, but will remain a slow, clunky and unfriendly interface for newbies? Not a good plan.

All this white space burns the eyes when staring at it. It also means content is pushed way down, lots of scrolling required. Nav stuff is very small on touch screens, hard to click. The more I use it the less I like it; it's quite difficult to use.

Redundancy in the notification window is also confusing- every alert/convo generates a number in both the alert/convo flag and the notification flag. That sends people clicking multiple places, not realizing it's all to find the same info.

11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    White space will likely tighten up a little once we complete our tuning. As for nav stuff on touch screens, in almost all cases, we replicated the font size and style from both Facebook and Twitter apps as those were deemed the most common touch screen uses. Whise space is most prevalent on desktop but that's become quite a minority use. Like many, we look at analytics to help guide us (along with human analytics such as your feedback) toward a starting point for something lie this: device usage, modern trends of design from the most popularly used applications. We see a collaborative here, our members today and our members tomorrow and our goal for a comfortable intersection. I mention today and tomorrow. Some of you might recall this huge headlines when Facebook introduce Timeline. It was at the time universally disliked and shredded. Today once members passed through that period, it seems to be one of the most popular features. Change sucks when it is not balanced with an upside. If you'll permit us to complete this transformation, we hope that the upside will swing in the favor of you 'liking' us again. Feedback always welcome. This is not my first rodeo but i can say that of all the projects I have created (FlyerTalk, BoardingArea, etc.) this one actually is the best one yet upon introduction. FlyerTalk i had to close after its first three months because no one "got it". 20 years later, many do "get it". BoardingArea first adopters almost made me cry with "Bored Area". What the hell is a weblog, don't you know that forums are where it is at Randy? Today, a much different view.

Bottom line: I'm sorry if some of the things that make your online time as a traveler are not up to your expectations. I will work to make them work for you. Who knows, maybe I can find one person who likes it! As always, thanks and that message is carved in stone.

Gargoyle, sobore, mtlfire and 9 others like this.
  12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Absolutely do not disagree. We have a newsletter to go out explaining such and it was planned to be in parallel to what you are referring to but unfortunately (and I take FULL responsibility for the screwup) got distracted with a few tech issues. No excuses. At times our decision to go full on with an online environment in https for you all continues to cause a few conflicts. And little by little we are anticipating them but truthfully, we did not see some of those things coming lately. We'll fix them. We'll inform you. We'll try hard to make it better.

Again, I screwed that part up.

vickers, Lionell, William JLP and 4 others like this.
  13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks. I hope you can appreciate we are really stretching out on this one and we do have some things to correct (thank goodness my life has a built in real time performance checker via our members) and seriously, you are only looking at just over 50% of things we have planned for you by years end.

I hope those who provide feedback of all kinds continue to do so.

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every new venture has teething. Wishing this one much success. :)

[Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk]

15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    That was totally not intentional. We have realized that when we built our new platform along the way we created new descriptions of ad buckets in the code which were slightly different than before based on location, etc. Because of that, the phrases did not pick up the exceptions you have earned. That is on the punch list and will be corrected shortly.

As a gesture of my appreciation for bringing that issue forward (we might have continued to overlook it internally), I'd like to send you one of our new bag tag/keychains if you can use them and aren't ashamed to still be a member. (I'm testing you on this one!).

bagtag.JPG

dstober, mtlfire, Dublin_rfk and 5 others like this.
  16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Things are tricky with complicated projects. I do like the TripIt replacement you have going... though I think I've already reported some issues with this.

Very interesting and cool stuff, I think, and hopefully the snafus will resolve. Thanks for the timely and honest responses.

Dublin_rfk, William JLP and ACMM like this.
  17. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We weren't so deep to overlook it, we got distracted with some tech challenges and will continue to get the original communication plans in place. I screwed up. It was sort of like you if you were saying something, got interrupted and then had to say ... "I forgot what i was going to say". We're a small company who enjoys the company of our fellow frequent flyers and as such, feedback from our group of customers is extremely important—I've lived with in for 29 years among my fellow frequent flyers.

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Randy Petersen and Gargoyle like this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well ... If you are cooking in your hotel room how to do expect an upgrade :) to a larger stove? :D

[Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk]

Dublin_rfk, Lionell and Gargoyle like this.
  20. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will/would never be ashamed to be a member of this community.
    You are all exceptional folks who really do take an interest and stay involved through good times and not so good times.
    I was just surprised to see all of the ads, since I was used to just seeing content.
    I must admit that after seeing this new look, I really am sorry that our wedding anniversary trip overlaps the Oct. 23 shindig in NY (shhh, don't tell hubby!).
    I have 100% faith that this will evolve into something great and beneficial for travelers.
    You have my full support - cheers ✈️
    Edit : for some reason it only shows one emoji and I selected several, one, of course, being a cocktail!
    PSS - did I pass the test?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Dublin_rfk, vickers, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  21. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many small forums fall into the trap of doing things in production, perhaps because they don't know any better. But especially with all the experiences with FT, this really shouldn't be the case here. Make a copy of the website, work on it behind the scenes, once you're actually ready with your changes only then announce a date and roll it out (and when I say roll it out I mean write a script which copies your changes within seconds/minutes -- not manually try to reapply all the changes you made elsewhere on your practice copy). Downtime for something like this shouldn't be more than a few minutes (which you can say round to an hour) -- anything more and it's lack of care for your existing users or lack of technical expertise, even knowing that you mean well.

I'm eager to see future changes and looking forward to future improvements, but hopefully this is a significant wake up call about how not to do things.

22. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I give up, where is my profile page, my OWMD and SMDx badges do not show up!

Gargoyle likes this.
  23. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was happy to see that the older mile point links are redirecting correctly. Like the one in my profile footer.

24. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm pretty darn confused. Logging in was quite a challenge too since it works in one spot but not in another. And it sure seems way harder to navigate efficiently. I'm just about ready to stop visiting Milepoint (or whatever it's now called... traxo, insideflyer, adcentral) but may reconsider if/when email goes out explaining it all.

mtlfire likes this.
  25. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    But that being said I downloaded tapatalk to browse on the phone because I can not see recent posts well on an iPhone 5.