This (Mileage Run) forum sucks

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by theblakefish, Sep 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly...this forum itself freaking sucks. We have MR's, mattress runs, and travel hacking in one combined forum and it is too much. On FT, these are broken down into many sub-forums, and I think that this is reflected in the lack of deals that are posted here in this forum on MP. I like MP, support MP, even admit that I have a man crush on MP...but I think that the designers are being quite lazy by not designating separate forums for all of these these deals, and IMHO the website as a whole is suffering.

Although, as always, ymmv:)

2. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I imagine that as this community continues to grow in content and users, there will plenty of time to create additional sub-forums. On another note, "I have a man crush on MP" might make an interesting t-shirt...

FlyingFree and uggboy like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My feeling is that right now any time a deal is discovered it’s on ~7 blogs, twitter feeds by those blogs, and on FT so it would be repetitive to have it here also. Not that I’m against posting good finds.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with this. Most people on MP are members on FT and other blogs, forums.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi theblakefish, may i suggest the better place to post these sorts of feedback/suggestions would be in the feedback and suggestion forum found here that way your concerns can be properly discussed and addressed.

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the observation and like others, the "man crush on MP" caught my attention, not the "forum suck" part!
    Fair observation and as you note YMMV.

We look at this from perhaps a different perspective. As for "designers are being quite lazy", well you might not have noticed but in the last month or two we created and spilt off new forums for Brazil and Argentina in the travel areas and in the airlines created forums for Hawaiian and LAN, so we're not entirely lazy. As for the Mileage Run forum, we actually have some idea for the forum but they involve taking advantage of the next upgrade of software that powers milepoint. Originally due this summer, we're waiting like everyone else. While anxious, we're also patient as we really believe the technology for this forum is the class of any other frequent flyer forums on the web today and we're only in its base release,

But moving on, let's take a close look because our mileage does vary. Since Sept. 1, there has not been a single active thread involving Mattress Runs/Hotel Deals. Here on Sept. 23, I'm not seeing a drastic need to have a separate hotel forum for this type of result. As well, since Sept. 1, there are 3 help threads, 12 threads with fare deals and 6 discussion threads. A total active since Sept. 1 of 21 threads. Splitting things up now would see an "active" forum of nothing in Hotel, 6 threads in Discussion and 15 in Airline. For now, i really think this is not that confusing or overloaded to exist in a single forum—but that's just my mileage.

And while I can appreciate many want us to be busier, again, we haven't done much if any marketing since our opening launch strictly because we prefer to make sure our infrastructure is absolutely GREAT before getting ahead of ourselves. we want the site to be a little bit faster, we want a few more features, etc. But, we're really proud of our dynamic glossary, our charity efforts, our Award Store, the MegaDo's and the positive attitude of our active members. As for the comparison to FT, well, that has been 15 years in the making and I'm glad and pleased it's still a standard for many frequent flyers. Give us a full year (March 1, 2012) and then let's chat about where we have come in just one year. We've still got some learning to do but as is often said, we'd rather be a little slow to the party and know where we are going than to simply dress up with no place to go (I made that up).

Thanks for the support of milepoint and we certainly welcome suggestions.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certain people are better than others at finding and posting MRs. I know BryanIAH on FT is particularly good at UA/CO runs, and he seems to post exclusively on FT. So there is an issue of where the contributors like to post their deals, and I have an RSS subscription to FT's MR forum for that purpose that I can access through Google Reader. However, I do agree that splitting up the different kinds of deal (mileage run, mattress run, etc.) would be a good idea.

IME, MilePoint has been more focused on general discussion and not deals. If you want deals, go to FT, where that kind of community is more active. I happen to like the discussion part on MilePoint more since it's friendlier, but you don't usually see the FT flamewars in its deal sections since it's more, shall we say, fact based. :rolleyes:

theblakefish and flyingdawg like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see complaints about the management being lazy a lot more often lately. I don't think that's fair. There's been a lot of good progress, and the site is really well designed. There's nothing actually wrong with the site that affects my use of it.

Some of the complaints start out when people ask for sub-forums and then they tack on more and more things that they're displeased with. Sticking to the original issue, I think it's worth having these extra sub-forums even if there isn't enough content to fill them up just yet. If I have a deal to post, I don't really think throwing it into a large multi-purpose forum is the best way to advertise it. Mileage runs, mattress runs, tricking, hidden-city ticketing, and the rest are often dissimilar enough that they deserve separate sub-forums.

The "What's New" feature is already a good way to ensure that new posts in relatively quite forums don't go unnoticed. But if I'm new and I navigate directly to a large general purpose forum to see what's interesting I may find the "deal" section only to see all kinds of barely related information. I may not go through them as carefully, instead viewing them as just a mix of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. And I may not post to it as regularly, because I don't think people are paying attention to it.

theblakefish and flyingdawg like this.