This leaves me speechless - response of officials in Phuket

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by estnet, Jun 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting quote from Thai tourist official and an article that just leaves me scratching my head (and thinking of ostriches - you know the ones that bury their heads in the sand:oops:)

"He then said of the spate of recent drownings - six people drowned at Phuket's beaches between May 18 and June 19 - ''When the Thai media present the news of the drownings, the headline just said 'The tourist is naughty and ran into the sea and did not believe the lifeguards.'

''But the foreign media says, 'Drown again' 'drown again.' They never support Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation President Paiboon Upatising [who pays for the lifeguards.]"

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-tourism-summit-told-mafia-foreign-media-16239/

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of a quote from Crytonomicon .. "Asia is like Disneyland without the safety precautions."

Kalboz, Gaucho and estnet like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    :):)

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I havent read the details of what happened, but I know Thailand well and it is true that more often than not, idiot tourists do very silly things while they are on vacation. Example (not saying this was the case)... if you are drunk, please dont go swim in the Ocean and expect to be rescued alive.

Kalboz, Scottrick and iolaire like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    c
    certainly true, as in the case of the two thai men who allegedly hung their shirts on the red warning flag and then went in and drowned.

But in the article are some interesting comments on how the police view the role of the press - might be worth a read.

Kalboz and Gaucho like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disneyland is for kids... so safety must be taken to a different level. However, the Asian Playgroud for the NA and Euro chepo traveller that is out to get slammed and laid (for as little $$$ as possible) better know how to take care of their own arses, else, I honestly couldnt care less if they drown or get themselves killed in some sleezy brothel. Frankly, the Thai Police have better things to do than take care of stupid visitors that have zero common sense..... if you're looking for it, chances are you will find it. Many of these 'travelers' need to get a life....

Kalboz likes this.