This is the thread with the wackiest mileage runs we have ever done.

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by diver90, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many but this was the 2002(ish) MR for DL Platinum:

ATL - NRT - ATL in Coach - Arrived at NRT and went thru immigration. The following is a close facsimile of my conversation with the agent.

Agent: What is the purpose of your visit to Japan
    Me: Pleasure, I guess (well I could have said Business...but this was easier)
    Agent: Where are you staying while in Japan?
    Me: Nowhere. I mean right here at the airport.
    Agent: How many days will you be in Japan?
    Me: Well none actually. I am going to turn right around and fly back to the US. I just did this for the airline miles and I have to be back at work on Monday.

The agent just looks at me and just slightly shakes his head, stamps my passport and gestures to the next person in line. A penny for his thoughts.

2. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow that's the first Japanese passport control people that actually speaks English, usually they just look at me and smile.

Also, I like your avatar [​IMG]

joesmoe likes this.
  3. SFO-SYD-SFO

Customs- What is the purpose of your visit
    Me - It was a cheap flight, I love Australia and I needed the airmiles.
    Customs- Thats a bit difficult to believe coming from so far away, how long will you be here ?
    Me- I am just here for the day and going back

Customs then directs me for full inspection of my luggage. (just a backpack)
    They were sure I must be smuggling something and told me so.

malikguy, Flyer1976, DLroads and 3 others like this.
  4. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my craziest MR(s), also Japan-centric

YXU-DTW-ATL-SFO-JFK-DTW-ATL-SEA-YVR-MSP-DTW-NRT-LAX-DTW-MSP-YVR-DTW-YXU-DTW-MSP-YVR-DTW-JFK-NRT-ATL-MSP-YVR-MSP-DTW-YXU

All in a week!!!

this was during the ridiculous $320 DL from YVR to NRT a few years back that allowed routing through DTW and JFK.

5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LAX-SFO-SYD-SFO-LAX-JFK. In Y. Was given a fastrack card for Australia immigration because the crew in back thought I was crazy. Immigration didn't ask anything, didn't check anything. Went into town, walked around the botanic gardens to stretch my legs and went back to the airport.

US immigration asked many probing questions, but I kept saying, 'no, I didn't do that, I wasn't there long enough.' [​IMG]

6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think my head just exploded.

7. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:

Wow! [​IMG]This type/qty of routing makes one need to come up for air (pun intended [​IMG]0

8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    ORD-LAX-EWR/JFK-STN-JFK/LGA-CLT in 2008 from Friday to Sunday. Never needed a hotel room; was under $750 and counted as DEQM for the DAArkside. Was all in coach. Was too cheap to use electronic upgrades and was not EXP then. :)

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW!

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far my craziest MR was going to the Chicago DO last October on US (thought NOTHING compared to what was written above). PVD-PHL-DFW-PHL-ORD. Cool thing is the DFW-PHL leg was oversold, took the bump, they booked me on AA DFW-ORD direct. Got to the DO 2 hours early, got original routing credit on US, AND got the DFW-ORD mileage.

OceanCruiser7 and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  11. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    During 2009 when the UA rules allowed HNL as a connection to Oz, twice I did the SFO-HNL-LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX-HNL-SFO run. They were both booked before the DEQM announcement and both fell within the DEQM periods that year. The 25K runs both turned into 50K runs.

During the fly three, fly free promotion UA had several years ago, you would get a free Y ticket for three flights, and a free F ticket when you flew six flights (lots of rules, exceptions etc). I spent the day flying between LAX-LAS (the cheapest flight at the time) to earn both tickets. The GAs at both LAX and LAS thought it was hysterical and op upped me on some of the flights. The free tickets were for domestic travel in the 48 states,but could be used to fly from HNL-the west coast, which was a rare exception. My niece was in school in HNL at the time so I gifted the free (non mileage earning) tickets to her.

12. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    3 SFO-LAX RTs on a Saturday to earn a bunch of bonus miles...

13. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    DCA-ORD-MSP // MSP-ORD-LAX // LAX-SEA-GEG-SFO-ORD-MSP-ORD-DCA

Thank you MSP-GEG $150 F fare.

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't Like your post because I'm actually scared of it! [​IMG]

16. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do I see Bill Shatner circa 1960s on a plane looking out the window at the wing.......and seeing this itinerary?!!

cockpitvisit and diver90 like this.
  17. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last December, I drove five hours from Washington to Raleigh and did RDU-MIA-LHR-MAD-DFW-LGA-RDU, followed by four days of RDU-DFW/ORD-LAS round trips, and a final RDU-DFW-LAX r/t. This was about 35,000 BIS miles in that week, but it almost seems like normal behavior compared to some of the others posted above [​IMG].

It was my first MR and actually somewhat enjoyable... spent a day in Spain, and every time I got to Las Vegas, I spent 5 or 6 hours on the strip before returning to the airport. [​IMG]

OceanCruiser7, noneemac and kayet like this.
  18. DJZ
    Original Member

DJZ Active Member

Status Points:
    I too did one of these runs, but only half of it came in during DEQMs, unfortunately. Mine was JFK-SFO-HNL-LAX-SYD-SFO-HNL-LAX-JFK. I was able to upgrade JFK-SFO-HNL-LAX and SFO-HNL-LAX-JFK for one CR-1 each. Better, DJZ-pere decided to tag along starting in SFO, so I had someone to drink with as we sat back of bus on the 747.

---
    On the domestic side, did a JFK-SFO-DEN-ANC-DEN-SFO-JFK. The return SFO-JFK was in the new (at the time) 767. The gate agent for SFO-DEN took one look at my request for my return boarding passes and started laughing, claiming it was "too early in the year for this, isn't it?" (it was May, so she probably had a point).

dhammer53 likes this.
  19. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any pictures?

20. Did KUL-BKK-NRT-LAX-SFO-SEA-DEN-ANC-DEN-LAX-NRT-BKK-KUL 4 times in July 2007 and earned 440,000 miles.
    Also had one side trip on first milage run SFO-LAX-EWR-ORD-SFO.

21. geoffco
    Original Member

geoffco Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done many crazy ones, but one from 2006 I'm still recovering from:

SYR-ATL-SEA-ATL-SYR-ATL-SEA-ATL-JFK-SEA-ATL-SYR

$285 all in, DL B fare netted something like 25k eqm. This was before NW/DL had upgrade reciprocation, so it was all coach except for 2 segments on a bump/reroute. 3 nights, no hotel, shower 3 consecutive mornings in the ATL E club.

Had the same trip booked for 2 weeks following, but threw it away. Couldn't even think of doing it again. CRJ's and domestic 763's... torture.

22. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    I sincerely hope my mileage addiction never gets to that point!!

23. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
  24. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not from me. I thought maybe Wendy Perrin (of Conde Naste Traveler) had taken a picture, but there is none posted on her blog post of our meeting in the middle of the trip.

25. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn, and I thought I had some painful routings

I did SFO-LAS-ORD-IAD-TPA-IAD-LAS-SFO in winter 2009. TPA is a great place to sleep overnight (beats LAX by orders of magnitude). Last year was a mini-run YYZ-YYC-YEG-YVR-SFO

kiwi likes this.