This is old news, just a reminder for those planning a trip to the islands

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by avflyer, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm running into this problem right now. Exacerbating the deal is that HA is making it impossible to book a ticket on the same PNR as a UAL flight....(for me, right now)

http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/help/pages/interline-baggage-statement.aspx

Interline Baggage Statement
    Hawaiian Airlines has interline and codeshare agreements with a wide range of domestic and international airlines, which allow our guests to book flights operated by multiple carriers on the same ticket. These allow customers to connect efficiently into and out of Hawaiian’s network while ensuring our ability to deliver their baggage reliably. Our Reservations Department(800-367-5320) will be happy to assist you in booking an interline connecting ticket, or you can do so easily through an online travel agency, retail travel agent, or other airlines.

A number of our partner airlines also market Hawaiian-operated flights within the State of Hawaii under their own airline’s code, also providing easy connections on a single ticket.

Connections between interline partner carriers must be made between 4 hours and the minimum connection time (varies), otherwise it is considered a stopover and you will need to collect your bags and recheck them for the next flight. If you have a separate confirmation code for a connecting flight, please check in with an airport agent at your point of origin. Beginning June 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through-check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the same ticket.

travelpye likes this.
  2. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you manage to book on same PNR?

I have made AA award bookings to take family from mainland to Hawaii week before Christmas. We plan to go to Maui but I could only get us tickets to HNL.

I am wondering how much time we need to plan between arrival in HNL and departure to OGG to retrieve bags and recheck.

Did you end up needing to do that for your trip? If so how long would you suggest we might need?
    Thanks!

3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I managed to get all flights on the same PNR.

You probably won't have a problem outbound (although I would check with AA on this), they should check your bags all the way through to OGG despite the separate PNRs. Coming home is where it gets tricky. I have not fallen victim to this yet, and I haven't experienced checked bag retrieval times in HNL in a very long time. I would allow myself a good 2 hours between your HA arrival time and your AA departure time.

BTW, thank you HAWAIIAN AIRLINES for further inconveniencing travelers like this to our state. So much for the Aloha spirit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    travelpye likes this.
  4. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the prompt reply! And I am glad you were able to get your flights on the same PNR.