This is not a boarding pass.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Mar 23, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone once in a while when I check in online from KIX to SFO (and beyond) instead of getting my boarding pass, I get a message like the one you see below. Now, if this happened every time, I would realize that some sort of policy was involved, perhaps because they need to physically see that I have an appropriate visa for re-entry into Japan (I have permanent residence status) BUT sometimes I *can* get the pass online and sometimes I can't. I can't fathom what the parameter is that triggers this response.

So..., I called up the UA MP desk in Tokyo and asked. The rep's response: "I have no idea." She couldn't even suggest someplace to ask!

Has anyone else had this experience or any idea of what the cause is? ThisIsNotABoardngPass.jpg

2. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mystery solved!

The agent at check-in had the answer. I had requested the "Japanese meal" and they needed to confirm that, for some reason. Why, hmm, I dunno. Maybe to discourage people from ordering it in advance? ;)

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United seems to be "full" of unexplained opportunities in which they questioning a request. :oops:

trobb49 and Newscience like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the conversations I've had with UA folks about this it has always been related to the passport/visa verification, not special meals. YMMV.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think they serve Japanese meals to Europe and I have gotten it frequently. :) And while I sometimes order special (veggie) meals, they have never confirmed that at checkin.

Yes, except it isn't consistent. Same country/passport combination can (or not) lead to this "not a BP" - even passports they (UA) have seen many times before.

8MiHi, Sammich, snod08 and 2 others like this.