This is a Concept Test forum. Please Notify us if you would like to start test airport area thread

Discussion in 'Airports' started by Randy Petersen, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As noted, Local Point is a test of a concept. if you'd like to have a test forum introduced for a specific airport region, please let me know by sending me a conversation (PM) and I'll start one up for you. As well, really love your feedback for the idea. Thank you.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    ORD would be nice! Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Done. Thanks and looking forward to your input. Now you got to go find some locals to dig out from snow and get in there!

sobore likes this.
  4. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to get FRA

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    BOS as well, please.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    EDI/GLA would be great. Given they are less than 49 miles apart, they could both be grouped together as EDI/GLA | Central Scotland Airports

Margaret likes this.
  7. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a nice idea. People will find up to date informations about the airport.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    MUC please

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Done or coming. While we hope it is a good idea, don't give us any slack—recruit locals, get conversations going and then give us your feedback. Thanks for the interest.

10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    coming right up. Thanks, i actually meant to do MUC already, apologies.

11. This section is going to be fairly large soon, have you guys considered some kind of sorting or grouping, America, Europe, AMEA,..., or maybe just alphabetic order?

12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Yes, had some notes on that but really did not know if the "concept" would resonate. Hey, not everything i think of is a good idea! We'll likely just go with the list for right now and make that decision come closer to launch time. I don't want to presume that just the additional of airport areas for local members means it works, will wait for qualified feedback once it gets conversations. We want to always be thinking toward launch what makes sense to keep the board looking and operating in a clean and well organize manner and your post keeps us alligned toward that goal, thanks.

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How will this section be differentiated from the Destination Travel section, or would you consider a selective merger? For example, I think this thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/other-u-s-destinations.181/ would fit here in the ORD-MDW area.

I understand the theory that this section is community oriented and the other is travel experience oriented, but I don't think the distinction will be clear to most users, (or even completely to me), so the focuses (foci?) could get diluted.

edit to add: Or is this section supposed to be specifically for discussing the airports themselves, and the other section (destinations) to discuss the cities and regions?

14. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty please add: MSP [​IMG]

Create a .... Midwest Airport forum. Or is that something I can create?

I know it is still a concept. How about naming 'Airport Point'?

I am thinking along lines both points of view. For someone who knows and lives near the airport and for someone who has never flow into the airport. It be kinda neat to add 'Airport Point' using Airline airport code. For example Delta major: ATL, MSP, JFK, DTW (and others).

I really need to think about to write this and explain it. I do think there should be a 'Airport' type forum. In which are link with the Airline program page. So people can click to and from either forum and not have to search for it. Like have 'local point' or 'Airport point' sub-link under or part of the Airline loyal program page.

15. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    that's why it is a concept. I think the answer lies in the many days and years ahead. When processing this idea, i tried to be 18 months from now when the newness of MP and some of ideas wear off if they do make it as a regular feature of MP. I found myself coming back to observations over the years that while a finite sub-set of members become very social and engaged with the idea of a local point, most, in fact a vast majority of members are simply interested in what you noted as our guideline for destination travel. As well, i factored in the same view of MP from a lurker POV who while not engaged, is often the first step of membership—lurking. I found that typical lurkers do not spend much time viewing forums that are more 'insider' than outsider for any number of reasons. Anyway, I'm hoping we can get some distance between now and then to re-visit and if changes are required, do so but at least see how this evolves. As you might imagine, this current beta group is a small very social group that many know each other. The information layout you see, will play much different to an expanded audience.

As for other U.S. Destinations, that decision was a bit on purpose because we did not know what types of content we'd get during the beta and as we get close to launch, we'll look at the content makeup of each and change as warranted. thanks for keeping me thinking. We will only do well if we ensure through feedback we have all the bases covered.

miles and smiles and Gargoyle like this.
  16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great post- it gives us a real insight into your vision, how you're using your years of experience to shape something completely new. Thanks!

17. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I jumped the gun on that one Randy!

A LAX/SNA/LGB thread would be cool!

18. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about traffic yet, but adding Toronto (YYZ/YTZ) would be much appreciated!

(Alternate idea: add countries until traffic warrants breaking them into separate fora?)

19. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the approach taken with Australia and NZ, at least as a trial.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, I didn't even spot that until you mentioned it. I agree there needs to be some level of categorization -- if someone has to skim the page for BNE rather than SYD this could cause confusion.

(luckily for us Canadians all the Yxx's will make alphabetization simpler. :) )

21. RKG
    Original Member

RKG Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about: SJC/SFO/OAK/SMF

22. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    And BUR and ONT with it, perhaps?

23. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Israelis don't need a TLV forum but foreigners do. I can't start to tell you how many PMs and e-mails I have gotten by people wanting to know what to expect at Security, where to stay near the airport (there is no place), and if they are better off flying into Tel Aviv or Jerusalem (it is the same airport for both).

jbcarioca, lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
  24. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see you thought of Sacramento in there. Maybe just a Northern California Airport forum? What do you think? That could include some of the smaller ones like Redding, Crescent City and Eureka, airports we never seem to hear about. Can't imagine they'd generate much activity but at least they'd have a home if someone wants to contribute or ask about them.

lisamcgu, Bay Pisco Shark and RKG like this.
  25. RKG
    Original Member

RKG Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea, Tom!

jbcarioca likes this.